Sakura and Syaoran Banner
Contents Home
Flash Version
Updates
E-mail Us
The Series
Characters
Fanfiction
Music Videos
Pictures
Sounds
Scrapbook
Links
JTCorner Forums
 
LIMITLESS POSSIBILITIES
CARDCAPTOR SAKURA

DISCLAIMER

©2003 Design by Julia and Tania Corner Productions. All content is copyrighted to their rightful owners. Cardcaptor Sakura is copyrighted to CLAMP and all its affiliates! No infringements is intended at all! Full Disclaimer.

Sakura and the New Force

©2003 By Julia and Tania
E-mail: ccs_fanz@juliaandtania.com
Cardcaptor Sakura: The Attractive Power (Alternate)
Episode 3

This morning’s crisp wind blew gently across Sakura’s face as she peacefully roller-bladed along the quiet streets of Tomoeda. She enjoyed this part of the day. It was quiet and it was the beginning of a fresh new day where anything was possible.

        Sakura looked to her watch—the one Yukito had given to her for her eleventh birthday. It read: 7:35am. “Wow, I’m really early today,” she said to herself with a smile.

        She continued to roller-blade as she enjoyed the beautiful scenery. Until recently, she never knew how much she had missed in the mornings by waking up late during her years at Tomoeda Elementary. She missed out on the tranquility, the morning scenery, the chirping birds—it was all so magical.

        Being up this early, she definitely couldn’t complain about rushing to school either; she had so much spare time before class started.

        “Since I’m early, I’m going to treat myself to a second breakfast! I wonder what I should have…”

        She glided along the pavement as she thought about it. It was quite early and not many stores were opened yet, but not too far ahead of her, she remembered passing this place the other day which advertised their early opening hours.

        Putting her right skate in front of her left, she made her turn towards her left for a small convenience store. Hopefully, this small convenience store had some tasty morning snacks.

        The roller-blade wheels screeched to a halt as Sakura arrived outside the store entrance. She peered through the window, her right hand placed above the brow line to shield the glare from it as she decided beforehand which isle she might head for when she got in.

        Sakura smiled widely to herself, knowing which isle she wanted to go for. Hastily, she sat herself down on the ground as she got her skates off to replace them with shoes before entering the store.

        Inside the small convenience store it was semi lit, where only the sunlight came through the large window Sakura had peered through from, as well as a few fridge lights illuminated the room. The atmosphere that existed in the store definitely felt like morning.

        Cheerfully, Sakura headed to the foods and confectionery section. She remembered that Yamazaki said that sugar in the morning actually helped the brain worked a bit better; it helped increase the recall of information much faster. Sakura didn’t know if that was true or not, considering he, as usual, exaggerated his stories. But that didn’t matter, she felt like something sweet this morning.

        “Ohayou gozaimasu (Good morning),” a man in his mid thirty’s greeted her politely, appearing through a door behind the counter.

        “Good morning, sir,” she greeted in return.

        “You’re up very early,” he commented. “I don’t usually get students coming through so early in the morning. You must be a very keen, studious student at school.”

        Sakura smiled, finding his assumption not totally accurate; she was mostly late all through her years at elementary school. “I’m trying my best to be,” she decided to say as she scanned the selection of foods and confectionery available.

        He smiled in return. “Well, you’ve done very well today.”

        “Thanks,” she ended off then went back to searching for her treat.

        There was such a large variety of sweets, chocolates and snacks. She just didn’t know which one to pick: rice snacks, honey dried noodles, biscuits, fruit chews, mini jellies, chips, crackers, candy sticks. What should she choose?

        “Hmm… That packet of candy sticks look tasty. I could buy a packet of them then share them around with my friends later on.” Sakura reached for the packet. “’The candy stick with four flavours: strawberry, orange, grape, and melon’—that sounds nice.”

        She held onto it for a few moments thinking she might just leave with that, but she decided it wasn’t really what she felt like eating. Sakura hung it back onto the shelf.

        On her left though, underneath the packets of candy, she saw chocolates. “Chocolates: yummy!” she exclaimed excitedly to herself, finally reaching upon something she was sure she felt like eating. “But which one—there’s so much to choose from…” A headache formed. She rubbed her temple as she made her choice.

        Finally coming to a decision, she picked it up and headed towards the counter to get it paid. Once she paid for the rather large chocolate bar which she had chosen, she made her way out of the store and continued on her way.

        Sakura decided to take her and her chocolate bar to the swings of Penguin King Park. Sitting alone, with the calm breeze blowing from behind, Sakura clasped onto the already opened chocolate bar, holding onto it as if she were treasuring it. Slowly she took it to her nose, taking a sniff of its delightful aroma. She imagined what delight would come from it once she tasted it.

        Her gaze remained on the chocolate bar, falling into a trance. Not too long after, she couldn’t resist it anymore and took a bite.

        “This is…” She stopped munching to take in the taste. “This is so good,” giggling happily she said. “I’m so glad I found this in the end.”

        Sakura’s head rested against the chains of the swings where she continued to take pleasure in the taste and texture of the chocolate. Her eyelids closed: the chocolate looked so plain, but the rich taste it possessed, it was meltingly good. Time seemed to have come to a standstill as she, bit by bit, ate through the bar of chocolate.

        “Syaoran-kun…” quietly she slipped out.

        Sakura sprung upright, unaware how he managed to pop into her mind. She felt like falling into contemplation again like the many times before, but she was shocked out of doing so when she realised there were a lot more people around, a lot more students, a lot more noise.

        “Oh no—what time is it?!” She looked at her watch. Her eyes shot out in amazement. “I’m late—how am I supposed to get to school in five minutes?!”

        Wasting not a second more, she stuffed the chocolate wrapper she was still holding onto into her bag and dashed off to Seijyu.


        “How could I? How could I lose track of time. I was so early too!” she said passing the gates of her high school. Being so disturbed by the fact, she stumbled on her roller-blades—almost meeting the unlevelled concrete path of Seijyu High. Sakura fretted a little as she desperately tried to retain her balance.

        Whilst she contended with the ground, she thought about what the teacher would say when she arrived into class. To return to being late to class, she just couldn’t bare the embarrassment. At least she wasn’t the only one who was late as she collided with another student side-on.

        “Gomen nasai (Sorry),” she apologised to whoever it was who fell along with her.

        “Kinomoto-san: gomen. It was my fault,” the male voice stuttered from underneath her.

        “You’re not hurt are you?” she said with concern as she raised her head to see exactly who she had flattened. “S-s-s-sato-kun!”

        Yoshiro nodded in response then he levered himself to a sitting position while he gently helped her up. Then he placed a couple of fingers to rub the back of his head. “No, I’m not hurt really…”

        Sakura took a sigh of relief. Suddenly something had struck her: Sato-kun was still out here. “Sato-kun, are you late too?”

        He nodded groggily. Yoshiro had been hurt more than he had admitted to Sakura. “I can never get to school on time—no matter how much I try,” he said, followed by a laugh—embarrassed.

        “Me, too—pretty much,” Sakura exclaimed, “I guess we’re the same when it comes to getting to school on time.” She returned with the same embarrassed laugh.

        “That reminds me. We’re already late as it is. We better get going, Kinomoto-san.” Sakura nodded.

        Yoshiro stood up then offered to help her up as well. He extended a hand, Sakura took it. It didn’t help though. With the lack of friction provided by her wheels, she fell right back onto the ground.

        His eyes widened into shock. “I-I-I’m so sorry!” He knelt down to hold her by the shoulders and lifted her up. “Are you alright there?”

        This time she didn’t fall over. “Yes. Thanks,” she replied then she and Yoshiro both scooted off to class.

 

        Maths seemed to take forever. Each minute in this class seem to last five times what it actually represented. Sakura didn’t really hate maths as much as she did previously—she had actually grown to tolerate it, maybe even, like maths during her sixth year at Tomoeda Elementary—but this class was slow and she could barely stay awake. To add to that, the sun’s warm rays which set upon her back this late afternoon was so comforting.

        Sakura gazed out the window as she stared blankly outside. The pencil that she gripped in her right hand was released to its freedom, making a soft thump upon its landing as gravity set it in motion towards the centre crease of the book.

        The thump of the pencil alarmed her; afraid it would roll off her desk before she got to it. Anxiously, she spun her head whilst instinctively grabbed the edge of the desk to create a barrier. It was okay; it didn’t fall.

        She slumped into her chair. With her head drooped, Sakura could hear the continuous squeak of the marker against the whiteboard in the background. She looked up: there was a diagram and some numbers. She compared it to what she saw written on her book.

        Lethargy took place as she realised the class was already onto the next example question when she had barely started writing the previous one.

        “Oh well,” she said quietly to herself, sighing. I’ll just ask Tomoyo for the notes later, she continued in her thoughts.

        A few minutes had passed and still she had not bothered to pick up her pencil. Weariness began to set in; words on the whiteboard began to mould into an area of charcoal grey as Sakura felt her head fall against her will.

        Inches above the table top, she sprung herself back up instantaneously upon the realisation; this was not her bedroom where she could fall asleep whenever her consciousness decided to give up on her.

        She looked up at the board apathetically. Oh, still Japanese… Sakura thought, falling into the palms of her hands.

        “Bow and Arrow…”

Sakura was abruptly brought out of her thoughts. “What was that?”

        Frozen by the sudden appearance of the voice, her back straightened against her seat, ears alerted, while unconsciously surveying her surroundings.

        Seconds had passed—nothing yet.

        “…the ancestors which guards the magic...”

        There it was again—that low murmur. Where was it coming from?

        “Did anyone hear it?” Sakura muttered quietly as she searched around the room.

        “I did,” a masculine voice whispered from behind her. “It was only there for a split second, but this aura was strange; I’ve never felt it before.”

        She turned in the direction of the voice, peering upwards. “Is it in the room?” Sakura asked.

        Syaoran scanned the classroom. “I… I don’t think so; not anymore. It disappeared, but it certainly was near.”

        Sakura jumped for the smallest of milliseconds to Syaoran’s presence then continued to try and uncover the identity of the aura, scanning the room like Syaoran was doing.

        “Bring forth the force!”

        “That was loud,” Sakura said, almost too loud.

        Suddenly Syaoran was not interested in the aura anymore as he moved over to her, taking a chair to sit beside her at her desk.

        “What are you doing, Syaoran-kun?”

        He didn’t reply. All he did was slanted her Japanese book, picked up her mechanical pencil and began to write in it.

        Syaoran’s doing it again. Sakura watched eagerly as she paid attention to what he was writing.

        “What are you writing, Syaoran-kun?”

        Syaoran continued writing whilst asking with a neutral tone, “Can’t you read it?”

        What a valid question.

        Sakura leaned in closer. She could see nothing but a block of words which were blurred; she just couldn’t make it out. “Tell me what you’re writing, Syaoran-kun,” she said with more exigency.

        All he did was continued to write. Sakura looked at him strangely and then at the book he was writing on: he was almost at the bottom of the page now.

        Shortly, Syaoran looked up, a frown apparent on his visage. “Can’t you read it?” his intonation confused and with a modicum of disappointment. Slowly, Sakura shook her head.

        For a moment he looked at her then as quickly as he was to stop writing, he was to return to it again. “Can’t you read it?”

        “No—I can’t read it. Why do you keep asking me that?”

        “Please try,” politely he requested. Sakura returned her attention to the writing, making more of an effort to concentrate and make out what he was writing.

        Moments passed. Syaoran was still writing; until he got to the end of the page. Sakura’s eyes widened. Then Syaoran’s hand suddenly crossed her vision and he rubbed furiously across the page.

        “Kinomoto-san,” a voice interrupted her thoughts, “Kinomoto-san.” The voice repeated, seemingly more irate.

        Sakura lifted her head off the desk—a position she thought she didn’t reach. She looked around confused. Many pairs of eyes were on her, including the teacher’s.

        How embarrassing.

        “Kinomoto-san, what is your answer?” her mathematics teacher demanded once again, her tone displeased.

        “Hoe?”

        At what point did she fall asleep, and—what answer to what question? Suddenly, a quiet voice came from across her. She flicked her attention towards the person. “It’s forty eight kilometres,” Yoshiro offered.

        “Umm… umm… forty eight kilometres?” Sakura repeated.

        “Forty eight kilometres—what?”

        Sakura fretted as the piercing eyes remained on her. She tried to look away, but she couldn’t. “Umm…” she stalled for time.

        “Squared,” Yoshiro whispered to her again.

        “Squared.”

        The teacher moved away without response. Sakura sighed in relief.

 

        “Sakura-chan!” Tomoyo called after her in the locker bay.

        She leaned backwards, peering over her locker door. “Hey, Tomoyo-chan!”

        “Are you on your way home?”

        “Hai,” Sakura nodded cheerfully. “You have choir practise, don’t you, Tomoyo-chan?”

        “Hai.”

        Sakura cocked her head to her right, halting her movements. “Then don’t you need to be there?”

        “It doesn’t start immediately after class. I still have…” She paused to look at her watch. “…fifteen minutes—that’s enough time for me to walk you to the gates and to the music room.”

        “You came out here just to walk me to the gates?” Tomoyo nodded with a smile. “Sometimes, Tomoyo-chan, you’re too thoughtful—not that it’s a bad thing. I just feel so guilty for making you take these unnecessary trips just to accompany me,” Sakura said, getting her roller-blades and books out before closing her locker door.

        Tomoyo smiled once more. “Here, let me take those,” she offered, referring to the books. “I’ll take your books for you so you can carry your roller-blades.”

        “Arigatou Tomoyo-chan! I’m so lucky to have a friend like you.” Tomoyo’s face features softened in response.

        As the two made their way out the locker bay, an uncommon silence existed between the good friends. Tomoyo walked alongside Sakura, observing her with her peripheral vision. Sakura’s expression was neither happy nor sad. She just kept her eyes forward, concentrating on the path ahead of her.

        “Tomoyo-chan,” Sakura began. Tomoyo, happy she spoke, turned to face her. “Do you think I could borrow your maths notes? I kind of drifted off in class.”

        Tomoyo smiled with pleasure. “Sure Sakura-chan. I don’t need them tonight so you can have them. I’ll ask my bodyguards to drop me off after choir practise.”

        “Thanks, Tomoyo-chan,” Sakura simply replied, her cheerful tone convincing no one.

        Tomoyo’s smile disappeared, once more downhearted towards her friend’s detached manner. “Sakura-chan—“

        “Yes?”

        “I noticed you were a little disorientated after the teacher called on you,” Tomoyo began. Not denying it, Sakura’s attention stayed with Tomoyo as she continued to make her observation, “Is anything wrong?”

        Reaching the end of the locker bay, Sakura sat herself down on a couple of steps as she sighed. “I thought I heard something in class today,” she replied, not revealing the other half of her dream as she began to put her roller-blades on.

        Tomoyo sat beside her—a curious expression written on her face, although, already suspecting what it was about. “What did you hear?”

        Recalling it, Sakura replied, “I… I heard a male’s voice. He was chanting something, but no one seemed to have heard it. It sounded so intimidating,” trailing off towards the end.

        “Are you thinking that it has something to do with magic?” Tomoyo asked, waiting for Sakura as she buckled the last straps of her roller-blades.

        “Yeah,” she said, initially uncertain. Sakura then got up and continued in their way. “I didn’t sense anything, but he said: ‘the ancestors which guards the magic’.”

        “I wonder what kind of magic it is: do you think—”

        “It’s not Clow Reed,” she replied, already knowing what Tomoyo was about to suggest. “I don’t even know if it meant anything, but if it does, I really hope I’m prepared.”

        “Sakura-chan, you’re the master of the Sakura Cards! You’re the most powerful magician in the world; you have nothing to worry about!” her best friend complimented.

        She blushed for a short moment then her mood fell into distress again. For some reason, this time, Tomoyo’s words didn’t comfort her as the pair approached the gate.

        “Daidouji-san, Kinomoto-san!” a voice in the distance called.

        The pair turned around to see Yoshiro walking briskly towards them. “Sato-kun,” Sakura responded, turning back to face him—as did Tomoyo.

        “Are you two heading home now?” asked the sandy-coloured hair boy.

        “I am,” Sakura replied.

        “No, I have choir practise. Well, Sakura-chan, Sato-kun, I better head off to it. I’ll see you, both, tomorrow morning,” Tomoyo said as she handed the books back to Sakura.

        “Thanks for walking me, Tomoyo-chan, and thanks for carrying my books!” Sakura shouted to the leaving Tomoyo.

        “See you tomorrow in class, Daidouji-san!” Then Yoshiro turned his attention to Sakura. “So, which way are you heading?”

        She gestured to her left with her right hand. “My house is just a few blocks from here.”

        “I’m going the same way too. If you don’t mind, I’ll walk with you, Kinomoto-san.”

        “Sure,” she said, nodding as they began to walk.

        “Are they heavy?” Yoshiro suddenly asked.

        “Hoe?”

        “Those books—are they heavy?” he said looking at them.

        “They’re not really that heavy.”

        “Are you sure? I can take them until you have to turn off at your street. It must be hard to roller-blade and carry those books at the same time.”

        She shook her head firmly. “No, I’ve learnt to skate and carry things at the same time.”

        “Still, it must be difficult. Really, I don’t mind,” Yoshiro insisted.

        “Umm… okay. Thanks, Sato-kun,” she said. As she handed the books to him, she continued, “I’m sorry about this morning. I was in such a hurry, I wasn’t looking. Are you sure you’re not hurt?”

        Smiling, Yoshiro replied, “Yeah. I’m okay. I was going pretty fast myself, so don’t worry about it.”

        “Oh, I almost forgot, also thanks for helping me in maths class just before. I seriously would have been fretting if you hadn’t told me the answers in class today!”

        He gave a hearty chuckle, “It’s not a problem.” His face then changed to a comical expression. “Is it common for Kinomoto Sakura to fall asleep in classes?” he teased.

        Sakura moved to rub her temple at the embarrassment as a faint red tinted her cheeks, “Not usually—“

        “I suppose maths was dull today,” he interjected, justifying her sleepiness earlier. “I was never too fond of maths; it requires too much careful attention.”

        Sakura couldn’t agree more. “I have this feeling maths is only going to get harder. I hope I can cope with high school maths.”

        “I’m average at maths, but if you feel like you’ve hit a brick wall with a question, just try my help. Maybe, by working together, we can come up with a solution for the problem.”

        Sakura nodded firmly. “Thanks, Sato-kun! That is very kind of you.” Skipping the subject, Sakura moved the direction of conversation to him. “So, what do you like doing? Have you joined any of the school’s extra-curricular activities?”

        “No, I haven’t joined any of the school’s extra-curricular activities.” He paused to think on her first question. “I have a strong interest in Chinese Martial Arts. I’ve actually been doing that for five years.”

        “Really? That’s great! You must be very good at it.”

        Yoshiro chuckled at her understandable ignorance. “No—don’t think I’m that at all. It’ll probably take another five years to master what I’m studying. But I am entering myself into a martial arts competition.”

        “You are?” Sakura asked, pleased for him. “When is the competition?”

        “The final is about three months away. I’ve been training since I heard about it back in April.”

        “Well, tell me when your competition nears; Tomoyo-chan and I will come and cheer you on, okay?”

        “Definitely!” he said with resolution. “Now that I’ve given you a little of insight into me, what about you, Kinomoto-san—what are you into?”

        “Cheerleading mostly...” She paused to think, “I actually like to give everything a go.”

        “That’s great to hear, Kinomoto-san. It’s a good attitude to have. So, is it just cheerleading—no weird hobbies or anything out of the ordinary?” he casually joked, pushing out a couple of chuckles.

        “Why do you ask?”

        “Just that it makes the person more interesting I suppose.”

        “Well, no—not really,” forgetting to take the Sakura cards and her magic into account.

        They turned a corner. “I’m sure you do,” Yoshiro chuckled again. “You seem like a very interesting person—at least I think you are.”

        Sakura didn’t know what to think of the comment. For a while, she didn’t speak, unsure how to respond. Luckily, her street was up. “Well, it looks like I’m here. I’ll be turning off at this street, Sato-kun,” she said to him, forcing a smile.

        “Sure. I’ll see you tomorrow at school then,” he said as he handed Sakura her text books.

        “Thanks so much for holding onto them for me and walking me home.”

        “Don't mention it,” Yoshiro replied. Sakura smiled.

        As Sakura made her way down the street, towards her house, Yoshiro called out to her, “Hey, Kinomoto-san!” Sakura turned around. “What’s your favourite colour?”

        “What?” she shouted from several metres away.

        “I said: what’s your favourite colour?”

        “Why?”

        “You never know. It might come in handy. What’s with the questions, Kinomoto-san?” he joked. “So what is it?”

        She giggled as she rolled along the path backwards. Yoshiro had a way of taking her mind of things sometimes—especially off of Syaoran. “Pink and white,” she answered him. Sakura turned around to skate forward again. “Okay, I’ll see you tomorrow, Sato-kun!”

        “Thanks! See ya,” he said, smiling to himself.

 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

 

        Sakura quickly ran into her bedroom, carrying a small plate of food, and kicked the door open with her bunny rabbit slippers. As soon as she got into the room, she shut the door behind her immediately.

        “Hey Kero-chan,” she called to him. He didn’t reply as he laid his focus on his video game. “I got it,” panting a little, “Dinner should be soon, but I managed to get some Sushi left over from last night without Touya noticing! Kero-chan, do you want some?” Sakura placed the plate next to her study desk.

        As expected, at the mention of food, he finally paid a little attention towards Sakura’s way. “Sushi, huh—yummy!” he said without looking, still playing his racing car game. “I love your dad’s Sushi. I’ll just finish this game. Thanks, Sakura.”

        Sakura smirked to herself, knowing that the next thing she was going to say would definitely get his little body away from that screen. “Well, Kero-chan, if you don’t hurry soon, I’m going to finish it all and there’ll be none for you!” she said as she exaggerated her chewing just to play with Kero’s mind.

        Falling into her game, Kero panicked. Sakura watched his movements accelerate as he divided his attention between the Sushi and his game.

        “Sakura, Sakura, hang on, hang on! Don’t finish all of it!” he pleaded desperately as he watched Sakura slowly empty the plate. “Just give me a little more time.”

        “Three… Two… One…”

        One more left—I have to get the last one! Kero thought. He punched the buttons of the controller even faster and with even more force; he didn’t want to lose the game, nor did he want to lose that Sushi. If life depended on it, he will have both!

        “Come on, come on, come on…” he willed himself, “Do it for the Sushi, Cereberus. After all, you are the guardian of the Sakura Cards—you can do this!”

        Sakura chuckled to herself as she took the last Sushi off the plate and hid it behind her back. “And… all finished!” Then she patted her stomach. “That was the most delicious Sushi ever! Too bad you couldn’t have some yourself, Kero-chan.”

        His eyes began to water, lips shaking with both, sadness and anger. Not a word came from Kero as he stared directly into Sakura’s eyes. Only a drawn out wail came through his upset display.

        She giggled at his infatuation with food and video games. It was amusing to see him tear up over such things as the two. Sakura pointed towards the video game, continuing to play with him, “Kero-chan—your game?”

        Kero’s head snapped sharply to his other love. Slowly, his eyes grew, fully blown in disbelief. He had neglected it, and as a result, a bold ‘Game Over’ displayed on the television screen.

        What had he done? Torn between the two, he had lost them both. He should have chosen one. It was one or the other; he was foolish to think he could have both.

        Regretfully, the little lion’s head dropped, sighing as he remembered their short lives. But soon his regret turned into frustration. He geared up his right foot as he swung it as far behind him as possible.

        Sakura’s playful expression turned into concern. What was Kero doing?

        Then it clicked. “Don’t even think about kicking that controller!” Sakura warned with her laser eyes.

        “What do you mean, Sakura…? I wasn’t thinking of doing that.” A rush of guilt played on his face as he began a pirouette. “I was only practising my spin,” poorly he excused for his earlier actions.

        Sakura lowered an eye brow, skeptically. “What for?”

        His eyes scrolled across from left to right, searching for an answer. That’s it! “That’s not important. What’s important is: why didn’t you save me that last Sushi?” Kero said, flying to hover right in front of her face, placing the guilt back onto his mistress.

        One hand on hip, she stood, towering over the furry guardian. “I warned you, but you were too busy playing with that game.”

        “But… but… but…” He started to wail again.

        Sakura sighed, giving up on her game. “Here.” She returned the three Sushis she had hidden behind her back onto the plate and presented it in front of him.

        His whole entire face lit up upon seeing the Japanese delicacy. He quickly rushed to the plate, paying each of the Sushis individual attention. “I thought I had lost you all!”

        Sakura’s brow furrowed again. “What are you going on about?”

        “You’re all alive. You’re all here!” Kero said in relief. But not long after the joyous reunion had his heart changed. A wicked smirk formed on his lips. “But that’s all going to change!”

        Down they went. In less than a few seconds, they disappeared down his throat. Sakura chuckled to herself as she watched a satisfied Kero scoff down the food.

        “Sakura, how could you do that to me?” Kero said with his mouth full.

        “It was fun.”

        “I’ll forgive you because this got you to laugh, but next time, can you not toy with my feelings?” Understanding how much it probably did hurt him, she nodded with an apologetic smile.

        “So how was school today?” Kero asked, once he finished eating.

        Kero’s question prompted Sakura to sigh heavily. She sat herself back down into her seat, resuming to what she was doing before: her maths homework. “I fell asleep in math class this afternoon so I’m making up for it now.”

        “Sakura…” Kero said, disapprovingly.

        “It was kind of a drag today,” she said as she struggled with her maths homework. “I had my final cheerleading trials at lunch time,” changing the topic.

        “Well, Sakura, don’t keep me waiting—did you get in?”

        Sakura smiled happily. “Yeah, I did! I’m the captain! It was a close one though. There was this other girl who’s in my class—Miyamae… something—she’s very good.”

        “Yeah, but not good enough to be captain,” Kero intoned smugly, siding with her.

        A larger grin displayed across Sakura’s face, giggling afterwards. “But she’ll be vice captain, so she’ll be working with me on the routines.”

        “That’s my Sakura—born to be leader; best at everything!”

        Being the modest person she is, she blushed at the praise. “Kero-chan, don’t say that—not everything.”

        “What are you talking about, Card Captor Sakura, there’s nothing you can’t do!”

        “Ah, there’s ah…“ Sakura dropped her pencil as she fidgeted with her fingers, flexing them against each other. “…maths. I’ve been at it for two hours and I’m still not finished,” she continued, almost ashamed of the fact.

        “It doesn’t mean you won’t get better at it,” he encouraged.

        “Yeah, that’s if I can stay awake in the classes.” Her face dropped suddenly as she remembered what happened during her moment of sleepiness.

        “What is it, Sakura?” Kero asked in concern. “Is there something wrong?”

        She nodded. “I’m worried that something might be happening again.”

        “Why do you say that?”

        “You know how I said I fell asleep in class today…” Kero nodded, pressing her to carry on. “Well, I had a strange dream.”

        “Yes…” his arms now folded, as he exhibited seriousness, foreseeing the matter at hand.

        “Magic—I heard someone say some sort of incantation.” Sakura straightened, putting aside her homework once again as she continued. “The thing is, usually I sense something—even in my dreams—but not this time.”

        “Everything’s been okay ever since the capture of the last Clow card, and since then you haven’t used a lot of magic, maybe this was a way of telling you to exercise the magic,” Kero offered.

        Sakura shook her head, unwilling to accept the explanation. “I don’t know, Kero-chan. It’s just a weird feeling I have that something’s not right. A few weeks back, I felt something too—a presence—but I didn’t say anything because I thought it was nothing.”

        “Your sensing abilities are strong so I don’t doubt you for a second... I didn’t sense any magic around the area previously; it could be just some amateur playing with magic,” Kero suggested.

        “He said: bow and arrow, the ancestors which guards the magic, bring forth the force. It was so disturbing, it sounded so strong. I’m just worried,” Sakura said, apprehensive. “And—“

        “And what?”

        Sakura decided to spare Kero from the second part of her dream—the part that had occupied a lot of her dreams in the last few months. “It’s nothing. I really hope you’re right Kero-chan—that it’s nothing.”

        Silence occupied the room as both of them wondered off into their own thoughts about the matter.

        “Sakura,” Sakura’s dad called from downstairs, breaking the silence. “Dinner is ready. Wash your hands and come down to eat.”

        “Okay!” Sakura replied. Dismissing everything else for the time being, she prepared to go downstairs. “Kero-chan, I’ll bring you dessert, okay? Thanks for the talk!”

        Excitedly, Kero nodded. “I can’t wait. Make sure it’s the biggest and most tastiest-looking one!”

        Sakura’s right brow lowered as she exited the room. Sometimes, Kero was so typical in his replies.

 

        Satisfied and full, Sakura placed her chopsticks on top of her bowl as she finished chewing her last bite of meat. “That was so nice, Dad!” Sakura then washed it down with a glass of water.

        “Are you full?” Sakura’s dad, Fujitaka asked with a smile. “Have some more. A growing girl like you needs more to stay strong and healthy.”

        Sakura shook her head, refusing politely. “I don’t think I could handle anymore.”

        “I suppose that means you won’t want dessert then,” Touya interrupted. “Oh well—more for me!” he finished smugly, not giving Sakura a chance to respond.

        “Umm…” That was a mistake, Sakura thought. She could fit dessert. She sunk back in her chair, defeated by her brother.

        Touya pushed his chair back, getting to his feet. As he prepared to grab his dishes, he addressed his dad. “Are you finished, dad?” gesturing with his eyes.

        Fujitaka nodded. “I’ll help clear the table as well.” He got out of his chair as he reached for the bowls and plates. “Sakura-san: if you help, we’ll get cleaned up faster then we can all have dessert.”

        Happily, she obeyed her father. Kero would definitely be disappointed if she couldn’t get the dessert she promised him. Diligently, she hopped onto her feet to grab the chopsticks off from each bowl and took it to the kitchen, placing it in the sink to be rinsed.

        “Here,” Touya said, throwing her a damp cloth. She caught it. “Make yourself useful and wipe the table with this.”

        Sakura scrunched her face at her brother’s implication, but, nevertheless, obliged, “Hai.”

        “Oh, yes, Touya-kun. Are you sure it’s okay with you and Yukito about tomorrow?” Fujitaka asked Touya from the preparation bench in the kitchen.

        Being the curious person she was, she wondered what her father and Touya was discussing about as she stopped her cleaning to ask, “What are you and Onii-chan doing tomorrow?”

        “It’s none of your business. Kaijuu (Monsters) don’t need to know about these things.”

        With speed, Sakura wiped the table down as quickly as she could before Touya moved out of sight; before he and she moved into her dad’s peripheral vision. She rolled the cloth into a ball and hurled it across the dining area, into the kitchen to have it meet smack bang on her brother’s mouth.

        The dripping wet cloth stuck to his face for the slightest of seconds, giving him another chance to taste this evening’s dinner then it fell to the ground making a whacking sound on contact. Calmly, not letting his disgust show, he spat out the grimy, soggy bits. Not retaliating, Touya went back to rinsing the rest of the dishes.

        “Kinomoto Sakura: did you think I didn’t see that?” her father said teasingly, yet firm. Sakura squirmed underneath her skin. “Treat your brother with respect, Sakura-san.”

        “Hai, otou-san (father),” reluctantly she replied.

        He nodded. Satisfied, he dismissed the incident and continued. “Your brother and Yukito-kun are helping out with some of my archaeology excavations tomorrow.”

        “Oh, I want to help too!” Sakura said, disappointed. Finding and dusting sections of the site wasn’t appealing, but the thought of spending time with her father doing what he was so passionate about made her so happy.

        “Sorry Sakura-san. You’ve got school to go to.” Fujitaka turned to speak to Touya. “Is everything organised with you and Yukito?”

        “Yes.”

        “Good. Let’s have dessert. Touya-kun: leave the dishes for later; Sakura-san: take a seat; I’ll get the cake!”

        “No, I’ll get it, dad,” Sakura insisted, “You can take a seat.”

        “Thank you, Sakura-san.”

        “Cake: yum!” Sakura said, elated, skipping to the refrigerator. Her father smiled after her.

        She opened the fridge door to take out the strawberry gateau. What a beautifully decorated cake it was. Her father was so good at baking cakes.

        “Sakura, do you need help? I’ll get the plates and forks,” Touya offered.

        Shaking her head whilst heading to the dining table, she declined. “No, no, Onii-chan, I’ll get them too. You go take a seat.”

        “Okay, have it your way, Kaijuu.”

        She grumbled briefly then made her way to the kitchen cabinets for the plates. As she motioned for three plates, something had caught her attention outside the window. She moved to the sink area to gaze out. Sakura gasped.

        Magic…

        In flight was a red arrow. Where did the arrow come from?

        Sakura scanned the vicinity for its origin, but she couldn’t locate the magician. She tried closing her eyes to sense for one, but, once again, to no avail.

        “Sakura: the plates—do you expect us to eat with our hands?” Touya’s voice travelled through her thoughts. She ignored her brother as she continued to watch with curiosity.

        “Sakura-san?” Fujitaka called for her in concern.

        What’s the meaning of this, she thought.

        As a trail of red glow radiated the clear night in the wake of the arrow’s course, eventually coming to its journey’s end, it disembarked onto a lamp post right in front of her house, instilling itself into the concrete just below the lamp. The vibrant red glow which trailed intensified, expanding to surround the lamps it previously passed.

        “Sakura,” Touya called from the table. Sakura didn’t answer again. Finding her behaviour unusual, he decided to walk up to her position. “Why are you staring out the window; what is so interesting out there?”

        “There’s a man under that lamp post!” Sakura finally spoke.

        Perplexed, his head twitched to his right. “What are you getting a—”

        Before Touya could finish his sentence, Sakura was already out of the kitchen and out the door, leaving Touya and her father extremely confused.

        “What could Sakura-san be staring at out the window?” Fujitaka queried as he stood up to approach the kitchen window. Touya shrugged. All either of them saw was the man Sakura was so concerned about casually walking on the footpath.

        Outside her doorsteps, Sakura quickly reached into her neckline for her Key. “Oh Key with the power of the stars: show me your true form. I, Sakura, command you under our contract: Release!”

        Not wasting a second, she promptly called upon a card to come to her aid, “Time!”

        Once Time had taken effect, she breathed a sigh of relief. In front of her, an unsightly event was stopped amidst its tracks. The man who she had seen from her kitchen window was only a few metres from being trampled on by the falling debris of concrete and glass.

        “Sakura,” a voice from above suddenly called to her. “What’s happening? I sensed your magic.”

        She looked up and saw Kero descending towards her location. “Kero-chan—I sensed magic then the top of the lamp post started to detach from the rest of itself.”

        “We should move that man out of the way before he gets hurt.” Sakura nodded firmly.

        Briefly, she thought about how she was going to move the man without him noticing her. Then it came to her, “Kero-chan get back inside. I’m going to call back Time.” He nodded without hesitation.

        As soon as Kero was out of sight, Sakura moved a few metres back from the falling lamp before calling for the card’s return. Time complied as all activity slowly restored itself, including the falling lamp.

        “Watch out!” Sakura called to the man.

        Naturally, the man was compelled to search for the danger, unaware of the limited time he had to get out of the way. Sakura predicted that this would be the man’s reaction. Quickly, she ran to him—running to him as if she had just noticed the situation and pushed him out of harm’s way.

        Both of their bodies skidded harshly along the concrete pavement whilst hearing in the background the shattering sound of glass and concrete meeting ground.

        “Arigatou gozaimasu (Thank you),” the man expressed with gratitude.

        “Daijoubu desu ka (Are you alright)?” The man nodded.

        Few moments later, Sakura heard two more lamps behind her explode. Both, her, and the man shielded one another.

        It was only the briefest of seconds, but there it was again—the aura she sensed a few weeks ago.

        “Young girl, you better get home. It doesn’t look safe out here,” the man advised as he stood up to leave himself. Sakura nodded, but didn’t make her move back into the house.

        Spotting that Sakura was by herself, Kero made his way back to his mistress’ side, “Are you okay?” he enquired.

        “Yeah, I’m fine,” very much absorbed in the origin of the magic as she stayed staring at the aftermath.

        “It looks like you’re right, Sakura. Something is definitely happening again,” Kero voiced his thoughts.


        Not too far from the Kinomoto residence, a figure stood hidden in the shadows behind a tree. Not far from the lamp, but unnoticed by Sakura nor by Kero came the voice. “Her magic is strong…”

 

 

To be continued in episode 4: “Sakura and the Class Trip”.