Sakura and Syaoran Banner
Contents Home
Flash Version
Updates
E-mail Us
The Series
Characters
Fanfiction
Music Videos
Pictures
Sounds
Scrapbook
Links
JTCorner Forums
 
LIMITLESS POSSIBILITIES
CARDCAPTOR SAKURA

DISCLAIMER

©2003 Design by Julia and Tania Corner Productions. All content is copyrighted to their rightful owners. Cardcaptor Sakura is copyrighted to CLAMP and all its affiliates! No infringements is intended at all! Full Disclaimer.

Sakura's Relaxing Sunday

©2003 By Julia and Tania
E-mail: ccs_fanz@juliaandtania.com
Cardcaptor Sakura: The Attractive Power
Episode 5

The guardian beast couldn’t be any happier than to be sitting on the window sill of Sakura’s room, feeling the source of his powers envelop him. Except for the brief patter of rain in the early hours of the morning, the day had dried up to be one cracker of an afternoon and Kero was making the most of the inviting warm sunrays.

        He sat lazily reading one of the magazines he found lying around in the room, quietly catching up with the latest news and gossip—even though it was from one of Sakura’s girl magazines. Finishing the page, he flipped to the next page, scrolling his eyes indolently from right to left.

        Nothing seemed to bother him this afternoon—that was until a breeze of wind blew at the pages of his magazine, flapping them. Kero’s right eyelid twitched ever so slightly with irritation, grounding down the pages with his rear two paws.

        “No problem—it’s just a little bit of wind,” he said to himself.

        As if the wind had a personality of its own, it proved him wrong as a sudden gust of wind shortly followed. “What the…?!”

        The magazine flapped furiously against the wind. Futilely, Kero tried to weight it down with his body, but he was too light as he, too, lost to the wind’s might. He and his magazine edged closer out the window, inch by inch.

        “No! My magazine—” Kero stopped to think, still sliding, realising something. “Oh wait… this is Sakura’s magazine. It wasn’t that interesting anyway. Here you go.” Kero hopped off the magazine-turned-flying-carpet without a fight, handing it over with pleasure.

        Happily the magazine flew out to its freedom, without a care in the world as its pages fluttered against the wind.

        Having lost his previous leisure activity out the window, he moved to Sakura’s bed, staring at his surroundings. “What to do, what to do…” Kero flopped down on the bed, waiting for something to come to him. “I wish there was more excitement today… Even that Li kid would be welcomed—at least I can tease him,” he sighed.

        Seconds passed before a turn of the doorknob could be heard. It’s Sakura—ah, someone to talk to! Kero thought. He sat up, waiting for Sakura to appear through the door.

        “Hey Sakura!” he called to her with excitement then he noticed the magazine on her head, “Oh there it went!”

        Carrying a basket full of dried clothes, Sakura rolled her eyes to her head. “Is this yours?” she asked with no hint of frustration in her question. “It just came out of nowhere when I was about to take in the laundry. You really should take more care of your things.”

        He grinned, quickly flying up to her to retrieve the magazine. “I will! Let me take that off of your head.” Then he moved to the television area, sitting on the magazine before Sakura found out it was hers.

        “Thanks Kero-chan,” she said happily as she placed the laundry basket beside her bed. Sakura began to empty the basket of clothes before she started to fold them.

        “Sakura, what have you got planned today?” Kero asked, hoping she’d have something to do, so that he’d be able to tag along with her.

        She thought a bit as she continued to fold her clothes. “Nothing much—I already finished my homework; I’ll be done with the laundry soon…” Sakura thought a little bit longer before she continued. “I suppose after this, I don’t really have anything else planned.”

        Kero’s back slouched, frowning at the same time. He then sifted through his collection of games. “Played that too many times… Bored of that… Tired of that… and that... that one too… This one’s too easy! There’s nothing to do.” Kero sighed heavily, slamming the games back onto the ground. “I’m bored,” curtly he finished off.

        “Really…? Nothing to do, huh?” Sakura queried mischievously as she thought about how much she wouldn’t mind a spare pair of hands (or paws) with the laundry.

        “Nope. Nothing to do.”

        “In that case you can help me with the folding,” she said then predicted he’d somehow excuse himself from it and find something else to do quickly. He looked at her, his expression appearing to be hard at thought. At any moment now… Sakura thought.

        “Okay.” It was all Kero replied with. He diligently flew to sit on the bed and began taking articles of clothing to fold.

        Sakura giggled at the sight. “You’re really that bored, huh, Kero-chan?” Kero nodded. “Yeah I suppose it has been quite dull lately.”

        It definitely had been. For the last two weeks, nothing had turned up. Ever since the incident at the botanical gardens, she hadn’t felt the aura she had been sensing ever since she attended Seijyu High, or did she have to deal with any strange occurrences. Maybe the dying leaves were some magician playing a one-off.

        Then she thought back to the situation with the street lamps and the dream in class. They all had the same aura behind them.

        “Kero-chan…” she began after a while.

        “What… is it?” he said through his struggle with folding one of the sweat-shirts. “You know what, Sakura—it’s not so easy for a guardian beast like me to fold your gigantic clothes.”

        Sakura frowned at the comment of the size of her clothes. They weren’t gigantic… Then she looked over at Kero. She supposed, compared to him, they were. He was literally moving his entire body to fold just the sleeve.

        “If you’re struggling with it, Kero-chan,” Sakura considered, “you don’t have to help me with it. I’m nearly finished anyway. You can take a rest.” Kero sighed in relief, panting as he took his seat back on the bed. “Anyway, don’t you think it’s strange how we haven’t come across anything unusual lately?”

        “The aura, you mean, Sakura?” She nodded. Seriousness washed over his previous expression, “Hmm… I’m a little worried too. It is a little unsettling to sit here and wait like this…

        “Clow Reed was a great magician. There were a lot of people who tried to challenge him and his magical abilities…” Kero thought aloud. “Having the status of being the most powerful sorcerer was something many people envied—now you hold his magic, and is even stronger…” he trailed off, not revealing his remaining thoughts on the matter.

        Although, Sakura didn’t need him to finish; she understood his meaning. “But who could it be?” Kero shook his head, taking another sigh.

        Transfixed by her own thoughts and Kero’s words, Sakura mindlessly folded the last articles of clothing before snapping out, realising she had completed the task. She stood up and carried the stacks of clothing to their assigned drawers then hung the ones that needed to be hung in her wardrobe.

        Once she finished, she lay on her bed, staring at her ceiling. “Glad that’s over and done with!” Sakura expressed with relief.

        As Sakura watched the ceiling, she could hear footsteps come up the stairs. They were coming closer as they got louder and louder.

        “Sakura,” she heard from the other side of the door. It was Touya. “Sakura,” he said, opening the door. “Dad and I are going out into Tokyo city to do some shopping. Do you want to come?”

        Sakura bolted up from her bed, excited. “Tokyo city?! Sure! I’ll call Tomoyo-chan and see if she wants to come too.”

        Touya nodded. “Well, we’re leaving in about half an hour. Get ready by then okay?”

        “Hai (Okay),” Sakura said before Touya left. “Well Kero-chan, do you want to come?”

        He grinned widely, nodding. “Woohoo! Something to do!”

        Sakura giggled at his enthusiasm. “I’m so glad I finished everything today. I haven’t been to Tokyo city for so long!” She bounced off her bed, cheerful as she reached for her cell phone. “Now I’m going to call Tomoyo-chan to see if she can come.”

 

        The doorbell rang. Sakura ran to get it, her pink bunny rabbit slippers flapping up and down against the floor. “I bet that’s Tomoyo-chan!”

        As she made her way down the last steps of the stairs, her right foot slid out of the slipper. Sakura went awkwardly down the stairs as she rotated her arms desperately to counterbalance her fall. She screamed at the top of her lungs—afraid she would fall to bow before the floor, kissing it.

        STOMP. Everything in the area shook.

        Phew! I controlled it. But she spoke too soon. Becoming unbalanced once more, she headed for the floor again. At least the wall at the end of the stairs was close by. She slapped it with force, sending a surge of pressure up her wrists, slightly spraining them.

        “Hoeeee! Itai… Itai… (Ouch… Ouch…)!” she said as she began to slide down before getting up again.

        “Sakura-chan…” the muffled voice came from the other side of the door.

        Slowly she made her way to the door, turning the doorknob to reveal, “Yukito-san!”

        “Sakura-chan—” He looked at the disheveled girl, “Are you okay?”

        “Hai (Yes),” Sakura said cheerfully.

        Yukito furrowed his brows in concern. He knelt down to level with her. Noticing Sakura was constantly rubbing her wrists, he took one of her wrists in his hands. “What happened, Sakura-chan? Does it hurt?”

        She shook her head. “No it doesn’t hurt. I just tripped over the stairs.”

        Yukito began to rub and flex her wrist gently. As he did so, looking down at her feet, he noticed a foot missing a bunny rabbit slipper. “You’re growing out of your rabbit slippers. Is that the reason you tripped?”

        “Hai. I’m okay though. What are you doing here, Yukito-san? We’re about to head out to Tokyo city—are you joining us?” she asked as Yukito helped her back on her feet.

        He nodded. “Your brother invited me to come.”

        Sakura jumped around like a child. “Great! This is going to be so fun!” Onii-chan (Brother) didn’t tell me that Yukito-san was coming too—but it doesn’t matter; he’s coming! “Come in, Yukito-san. We’re just waiting for Tomoyo-chan to arrive.”

        “Oh Yuki, are you here already?” Touya asked rhetorically, entering the lounge. Yukito nodded, directing a pleasant smile towards his way. Touya smiled back then addressed his sister. “When did you say your friend, Tomoyo-san will be arriving?”

        At the mention of Tomoyo’s arrival, a knock at the front door travelled to the lounge, followed by a high-pitched voice, “Hello… Is anyone home? The door was open, so—“

        Sakura passed her brother to get the door, “Tomoyo-chan—”

        “Konnichi wa (Good afternoon) Sakura-chan! Am I late?” Tomoyo asked as Sakura gestured her into the lounge.

        “Nope, you’re not late.” Sakura then looked at her brother, “Onii-chan, are we heading off now?”

        He nodded. “Head to the car Kaijuu (Monster); Dad’s probably already there.”

        She scrunched her nose at the remark before replying. “Hai. Come on Tomoyo-chan, Yukito-san. Let’s go!”

 

        “It’s busy today,” Fujitaka expressed his thoughts as he peered at the long line for car parks from the sidewalks. “There are always a lot of people wanting car parks in the weekends. I’m glad we got a vacancy,” he said, talking to no one in particular.

        Touya nodded rhythmically. “But the fee went up slightly: 1900 yens for three hours—a little more expensive than the last time we came here.” He then looked at the scene before them as well. “Definitely busy today; looks busier than usual.”

        The busy atmosphere was very common during the weekends in Tokyo city, but no one seemed to mind by the looks of the crowd that had gathered today. Tokyo was full of exuberance as people flocked the streets and malls with their families.

        “Wow, there are a few new stores around,” Sakura observed.

        “It’s amazing how fast the city changes in a few months, huh?” Tomoyo replied.

        “Sakura-san, Tomoyo-san,” Fujitaka began. They turned their attention to the tall man behind them. “Your brother, Yukito-kun, and I will be going to some clothes stores. We’ll meet back at the information centre at five o’clock for an early dinner, okay?”

        “Hai,” the two girls replied.

        “Have fun, Sakura-chan, Tomoyo-san,” Yukito added.

        “Arigatou (Thanks),” the both replied once more before the group parted, moving off ahead of them.

        “So Sakura-chan,” Tomoyo began, “where do we go first?”

        “Restaurant!” a voice came from Sakura’s backpack.

        “Kero-chan? Did you bring him along too, Sakura-chan?” Tomoyo asked as she moved to unzip Sakura’s bag. Sakura nodded.

        Kero’s head popped through the hole, taking a gulp of air, “Sakura, did you forget I was in your bag?”

        Sakura scratched her head, hesitantly admitted, “Yeah…” Kero moaned of disapproval. “Sorry. I’ll leave the bag unzipped so you can see through it, but don’t poke out too much okay?”

        “Okay. Anyway, we should go to all the restaurants first, Sakura! I want to have Yaki-soba, Sashimi, and Suimono, and…” he said dreamily.

        Sakura chuckled at his on-going list of Japanese dishes he would like to eat as they stopped at an intersection. “But you better lower your voice, Kero-chan,” she whispered behind her shoulder. “There are a lot of people here. Anyway, we’re having dinner at five, so you’ll just have to wait until then to see what we have, okay?”

        “Fine,” he mumbled, folding his arms. “But you have to go into one of the bakeries here and get something yummy.”

        Sakura lowered her gaze. “Have to?”

        Kero realised what she was getting at—she was his mistress, she didn’t have to. All he could do was beg, “Please?”

        Sakura sighed, giving in to his pleading display. “Fine—Tomoyo-chan, do you mind if we go to the bakery first then?”

        Tomoyo smiled. “Nope, not at all—we all know how he loves food. I don’t want to be around when he’s deprived of his food.” Kero, not offended, smiled in content. “Ikimashou ka (Shall we go)?” she said as the pedestrian traffic signal switched to green.

        Sakura nodded, “Hai.”


        Having satisfied Kero’s desire for food, Sakura and Tomoyo were able to begin their own shopping. The two friends stepped through the automated glass door of the modern, multi-levelled shopping complex. On their left as they entered was the entrance to the elevator which provided them the transport to many different floors the tall structure comprised of. The floor they sought after was the fifth floor: the art supply store.

        “Tomoyo-chan, are you buying some supplies for your latest painting?” Sakura asked as she watched the happy shoppers below through the glass elevator windows.

        “Hai—I was working on my painting this morning and I ran out of yellow and blue.”

        “Is it the one for Eriol-kun?”

        “Hai Sakura-chan.”

        The elevator stopped at the second floor to let more people in. A couple of families entered before the elevator continued its way up.

        “How are you going with it?” Sakura asked, shuffling aside for the new arrivals.

        “I’m almost finished with it; a few more touches and I should be done. I think I should have it ready to send to Hiiragizawa-kun by next week.”

        “Really—that’s so fast!” Sakura exclaimed. “Can I see it before you send it?”

        “I can show it to you the next time you come around to my house,” Tomoyo said happily.

        “Great!” Sakura said enthusiastically.

        “Speaking of Hiiragizawa-kun, I invited him back to Japan.”

        “Did you?!” excitedly she asked.

        The elevator stopped again at the third floor to let another five adults in while one left. Sakura turned to look at the number of people coming in and the limited amount of space left. It was getting full. She hoped that by the time it got full, she’d be at her floor.

        Tomoyo nodded as she felt slight discomfort at the amount of room left. “Hai,” Tomoyo replied to Sakura’s previous question before the group of people entered.

        “It’d be great to see Eriol-kun again! When is he coming?”

        “He said he’d definitely be able to come back during the summer break, but he doesn’t know the exact date yet.”

        Ecstatically, Sakura jumped to the news. “That’s so exciting. It’d be great to talk to him again.” Tomoyo nodded in agreement.

        Suddenly a moan and a groan came from Sakura’s bag. “Oh no—Kero-chan,” she said in a quiet tone.

        “Is he okay?” Tomoyo asked.

        “I don’t know.” She turned her head over her shoulder. “Kero-chan, are you alright in there?” Another mumble came through. “I’m sorry, but I can’t do anything until we get to the fifth floor. Just hang on, okay?” There was no reply from Kero as the elevator let in more and more people.

        Finally, the elevator had reached the desired floor. Tomoyo and Sakura struggled their way through the crowd that had gathered in the elevator, slowly exiting it.

        “Excuse me, please,” the both said. “Excuse me, please. Thank you, thank you.”

        Sighs of relief were expressed as Sakura and Tomoyo made it out of the elevator and into open space. “A lot of people back there…” Sakura stated more to herself than to Tomoyo.

        “Hai,” Tomoyo replied, recovering from the confined environment. “How’s Kero-chan?”

        “I don’t think he’s feeling very good at the moment by the sounds of his moans.” Sakura took her bag off her back to open it.

        The yellow lion had his entire face cream pied with egg tarts and some other pastries mixed in. Shocked at what she saw, Sakura quickly apologised to him, “Oh my goodness, Kero-chan, I’m so sorry!”

        Kero whined and sobbed as he saw all his precious snacks ruined, but it didn’t matter; it still tasted nice as he licked it off of his face. “Couldn’t you use the stairs?”

        “Sorry, but it was much faster with the elevators,” she apologised sympathetically.

        “We’ll make it up to you and buy you some more snacks later, okay Kero-chan?” Tomoyo offered.

        He grinned widely, “You’re the best!”

        “Well, let’s go to the art store. It shouldn’t take long then we can go to the department store downtown,” Tomoyo suggested.

        “Hai.”


        Having bought the art supplies Tomoyo needed for her painting, Sakura and Tomoyo were making their way to the newly built department store in central Tokyo. It was only a short walking distance from the previous shopping complex they had visited.

        They entered the store, awed by the enormity of it. As they stepped in, a young female hostess greeted them. “Welcome, girls. Happy shopping.”

        “Thank you very much,” they both said as they bowed.

        “Where do you want to go, Sakura-chan?” Tomoyo asked her friend.

        “Let me see,” she replied as she put a finger below her chin in contemplation.

        There were countless numbers of signs hanging down from the ceiling. The purpose of them was to direct the shopper to the right department, to the one they were looking for. But for Sakura, as she scanned each of them, they were not the least bit helpful.

        With all the concentration she could muster, she tried to find the department she was looking for, but only to be overwhelmed by the many signs. Some signs were so far away that she could hardly read them clearly. She just didn’t know which direction to head in.

        “May I help you?” the hostess asked with a smile.

        “Umm… yes please—can you direct me to the shoes department?” Sakura asked politely.

        “Certainly, young ladies: follow me,” she said as she began to head towards the department.

        Sakura and Tomoyo followed closely behind the rather tall, elegantly dressed hostess (as to not get lost amongst the shoppers). They headed straight, turned left then lastly, turned right to arrive at the shoes department.

        “Here you are ladies. I hope you find what you need here. Have an enjoyable shopping experience. Good day.”

        “Doumo arigatou gozaimasu (Thank you very much),” Sakura thanked with great gratitude. It would have probably taken her a good ten minutes to find her way around if the hostess hadn’t shown her otherwise.

        “Arigatou gozaimasu,” Tomoyo followed.

        “Dou itashimashite (You’re very welcome),” the hostess said before leaving.

        Sakura stood there, musing over the isles of shoes. It was all nicely categorised into men’s shoes, women’s shoes, and children’s shoes. Sakura headed to the children’s section.

        “Oh Sakura-chan, they’re so cute.” Tomoyo was pointing to some girl’s polyester boxers and top situated not too far from the shoes department. “The designs they have imprinted are very cute too.”

        Sakura walked over to take a look at what Tomoyo was looking at, feeling the fabric. “It’s very nice, Tomoyo-chan. You should buy it.”

        “It’s not really my style. I like gowns better, but I think it’d suit you very well.”

        “Thanks, Tomoyo-chan, but…” Sakura shook her head, “I’ll wait until my old ones don’t fit me anymore,” she said with a smile, heading back to the shoes. “But there is something that I am growing out of though.”

        “What’s that?” Tomoyo said, following Sakura’s path soon after.

        “My slippers.”

        “You mean your ‘much loved’ bunny rabbit slippers?” Tomoyo questioned.

        Sakura nodded as she headed to where the slippers were displayed. “Yeah, I’m growing out of them fast. This afternoon Tomoyo-chan, I tripped over them; I almost rolled down the staircase because it’s not my fit anymore.”

        “Oh okay. So a new pair is in order, huh?” Tomoyo looked around the neatly arranged shelf of different kinds of slippers. She stopped on her right. “How about these ones: these bunny rabbit ones? They look similar to your old ones.”

        “I like bunny rabbit ones, but I think I’m going to go for something different this time.”

        Sakura moved over slightly then went on her toes to reach for a pair above her. In her hands, she had a pair of slippers which was mainly white in colour with a tinge of grey. Around the front part of it was a ruff of fur which extended beyond its width.

        “These dog slippers look cute,” Sakura said. “What do you think, Tomoyo-chan?”

        “They’re very sweet. I like the whisker part of it.”

        “It reminds me of that brat if you ask me,” Kero said suddenly, popping up from the backpack, mouth full of crumbs.

        “Kero-chan, get back in there before someone sees you!” Sakura ordered.

        “Fine, fine, fine,” sinking back in Kero said.

        Sakura giggled happily as she rubbed the soft ruff of fur against her cheek. “I’m going to buy these ones!”

        “Shall we get it paid for then, Sakura-chan?”

        “Do you have anything else you want to look at before we go?” Sakura asked her.

        “I’m fine.”

        “Great. So, where’s the sales desk?” Sakura ask as she scanned the department store.

        “I think we passed one near the cosmetic department, which was…” Tomoyo paused a moment to try and think of where she saw it. “It was opposite the cosmetic department which is not too far ahead of us.”

        They both headed to the sales desk. When they arrived, there was a short line at the counter, but it was not too long before they were served.

        “Hello, can I help you?” the sales clerk asked.

        Sakura handed over the slippers. “Yes, just these thanks.”

        “Certainly.”

        Sakura waited patiently as the sales clerk processed the item through. As she watched, beyond the desk was a display stand. For some reason she wasn’t sure of, her attention was caught by the advertisement displayed on it.

        A guy and a girl sat in a car, parked in the park’s car-parking lot. The couple was staring intently into each other’s eyes, appearing to be intrigued by each other. Underneath the poster, advertised a slogan.

        ‘For a smoother, tastier, and everlasting experience’, Sakura read in her mind. Her brows furrowed at the meaning of the catchphrase.

        She scrolled her eyes down further. On the bottom right-hand corner, a picture of a lip balm stick situated next to some more words: ‘New fruity flavoured lip balm, try it; it’s like eating the fruit.’

        Sakura smiled, giggling in her head. I get it now.

        “Here you are,” the sales clerk interrupted her thoughts, handing her a bag with her slippers in it. “Enjoy those.”

        “Thank you very much.”

 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

 

        More and more people packed into the city as dinner time approached. Inside a very crowded restaurant was a long line of waiting customers.

        “It’s fortunate you decided to add a couple more hours onto our car-park; it looks like it might be a while till we get a seat here, Dad,” Touya stated.

        He nodded. “This restaurant: it’s very popular isn’t it?”

        Touya looked at the smorgasbord table. He noticed a variety of, not only the common Japanese dishes, but included was also other Asian choices along with some of the popular western dishes. “Yeah—There’s a lot of choice here. It’s got good atmosphere,” praised Touya.

        “It shouldn’t take much longer,” Fujitaka said to himself, his tone almost in contradiction to his words.

        “Good food’s always worth waiting for, right everyone?” Yukito said. Eyebrows were lowered by the friends; it was definitely something they all expected him to say.

        “Exactly, Yukito-kun,” replied Fujitaka, laughing. “I’m glad you’re so positive.”

        The Kinomoto family and friends continued to wait in the lobby area, their eyes danced around into the dining area as they waited for a table to be freed up inside. They could see this evening was extremely busy; and judging by the frantic movements of the people behind the counter, hosts, and waiters tending to diners, it could be more than just a short wait.

        Suddenly a loud thump moved through the room, even above the noisy atmosphere, silencing everyone for a moment. They snapped their heads towards the entrance door as it was forced against its frame, causing the building to rattle a little before the door was pulled open with vigour. Following the sound, came a blur of an image which swept past everyone at the speed of light to the counter.

        “Can you show me where the Kinomotos are sitting?” the woman said as she slammed her hand against the counter top in a pant.

        Thunderstruck, the receptionist stood there speechless for a few seconds before addressing the woman. “D-d-daidouji-san!”

        Realising her rudeness, she spared a smile and a wave, “Komban wa (Good evening) Nosaka-san. Could you direct me to the Kinomotos’ table?”

        TAP, TAP…

        “Chotto matte, chotto matte kudasai (Wait a minute, wait a minute please)!” Daidouji Sonomi requested snappishly, annoyed at the one interrupting her conversation.

        “Hold on, I’ll check.”

        Nodding twice, three times, four times, she pressed the receptionist to find the name in his Guests book. “Ki-no-mo-to—Kinomoto.”

        TAP, TAP…

        “Just wait a minute!” Sonomi grunted harshly afterwards.

        “Sorry we don’t have a Kinomoto in the restaurant this evening.”

        A confused look presented on her face, “Why not?” Just as puzzled, the receptionist shrugged.

        TAP TAP TAP… TAP TAP…

        Fury boiling within her, she spun her head around sharply at the annoying person tapping. “Would you just wai—“

        Realising the person she was looking for was behind her, she stood there, staring at the man, “Kinomoto-sensei!”

        “I’m glad you decided to join us, Sonomi-kun, but we haven’t gotten a table yet. We’ve been waiting in line for ten minutes now for one.”

        She was about to reply when she spotted Fujitaka’s daughter waiting in the line. “Sakura-chan!” she said, waving.

        An imaginary drop of perspiration fell down her right temple as Sakura felt slight embarrassment. Stiffly, she waved back. “Komban wa.”

        Sonomi ran across the lobby to kneel in front of Sakura, pinching her cheeks. Sakura winced at the slight pain she was inflicting whilst all the customers glared at the odd woman. “Sakura-chan, Tomoyo… You two must be so hungry.” She leaned closer into the two girls’ ears, “Let’s see if we can get us a table—yeah?”

        Then Sonomi ran back to the front desk and leaned into the receptionist’s ear like she did with Sakura and Tomoyo.

        “Didn’t you say that your mum was working today?” Sakura whispered to Tomoyo.

        “Hai,” Tomoyo replied, confused.

        “Oh…” Sakura simply replied, not asking further; Tomoyo probably didn’t know what she was doing here either.

        “Nosaka-san, give the man and his family a table, huh?” Sonomi continued.

        “No, really,” Fujitaka interjected, waving his hands in the air in protest, “We can wait. These people have been waiting much longer.”

        Sonomi didn’t listen; eyes squinted at the pitiful display of the man: “You’re too passive!” She turned back to Nosaka, trying to work on him a little more. “I come here often enough… just this once?” She winked repetitively.

        Nosaka gazed out at the customers who had been waiting much longer. As he looked at their eyes, they all had conforming expressions: let the woman and the family have the next table. Everyone was slowly nodding in synchronisation; not allowing it would probably waste more time.

        “Persistence, Kinomoto-sensei,” Sonomi gloated smugly.

        Fujitaka smiled, defeated. “Arigatou Sonomi-kun.”

        The family and friends filed into the packed restaurant as the rest of the hungry customers continued to wait in line.


        Sakura watched her plate pile up as Sonomi insisted that she try a little of every dim sum selection there was on the table.

        “Here, try a bit of this, Sakura-chan. Oh, how about a pork bun; try some egg tarts; you’ll love these: they’re pork ribs… You have to try these shrimp dumplings—they’re what everyone rushes for… what else, what else… wonton soup…!” Sonomi searched around the table to place more food onto her already full plate.

        “Arigatou… Arigatou,” Sakura thanked nervously as everyone watched in awe. How was she going to eat it all?

        Fujitaka chuckled. “Sonomi-kun,” he called as he gently stopped her right hand from picking up anymore from the dim sum steamers. “I think Sakura-san might like to finish the plate of food before having any extra helpings.”

        Sonomi looked across the table at Sakura’s plate. She had to admit it was very full. Hesitantly, she refrained herself from putting anymore onto it. “Eat up, Sakura-chan! You too, Tomoyo!”

        “H-hai,” Sakura and Tomoyo said, nodding politely.

        “So, Sonomi-kun, I didn’t get to ask you—you were in such a hurry when I ran into you earlier—but what are you doing in Tokyo?” Fujitaka said, taking on another subject.

        “Sealing a business deal,” she replied simply as she went around the table pouring tea into each of the cups. “Here you go Tsukishiro-kun, Touya-kun.”

        “Arigatou,” the two responded after each other then continued in their conversation quietly.

        Sonomi came around to refilling Fujitaka’s cup. As she poured tea into it, she quickly became aware that she had paid him a kind gesture. Maybe if she carried on pouring then sit down quickly, he wouldn’t notice the uncharacteristic gesture of hers.

        “Arigatou Sonomi-kun,” he thanked with a smile.

        Damn! He noticed, and he said it in that kind tone of his too.

        Fujitaka’s cheerful appearance settled on Sonomi, oblivious that his stare was making her nervous. Afraid to speak or act in response, she returned to her seat, in case anything she said or did were to be interpreted into something other than what she had intended it to be.

        “Did you make the deal, Sonomi-kun?”

        Composed again, she replied, “The negotiations were long and arduous, but my company was successful in closing the deal,” she said proudly.

        “That’s great news. Congratulations!”

        Meanwhile, Sakura gradually ate through her plate of food as she listened to her dad and Tomoyo’s mother chat about business; and busily chewing his food under the table was Kero.

        Sakura felt a kick on her right ankle. “Oi, Sakura,” Kero whispered from underneath the table.

        She tried to ignore him at the moment; her brother Touya was looking her way for some reason. He hadn’t kept his eyes off of her for the past ten minutes, frequently shooting her glances.

        “Onii-chan,” Sakura called for her brother who was sitting on her right side.

        “Yes…?” Touya replied in a mocking tone.

        “Do you think you could pass me some of those squid balls over here?”

        “Sakura!” Kero whispered again, a bit louder this time.

        Touya raised an eyebrow, lowering his head. “Haven’t you had enough—you haven’t even finished your plate of food yet.” Then he retracted his question; coming up with a reply himself. “Then again, you are a monster. Monsters do eat a lot I suppose… Okay, here you go little monster.” He handed her the plate of squid balls with a teasing grin on his lips.

        Suddenly, to Touya’s surprise, he was stomped on the foot. Inwardly, he yelped in pain, trying not to make a scene in front of the diners.

        “I am not a monster,” she said in an angry, yet quiet and controlled tone.

        Reaching over, Sakura snatched the plate from his grip before Kero kicked her again. “Sakura, Sakura, Sakura…”

        Sakura flinched, reacting to the painful three kicks to the ankle. How could a furry little lion kick so hard? “I’m coming!” she mumbled through gritted teeth.

        “What did you say, Kaijuu?” Touya asked, curiously.

        “I said, ‘thank you’.”

        “Didn’t sound like thank you.”

        “Well, I did…” Sakura said, laughing nervously. Satisfied with his round of teasing at Sakura for the evening, he retreated back to his own business.

        Breathing a frustrated sigh as she bent down, she sneakily slipped a few squid balls on a napkin. “Here Kero-chan; quickly take it before people see,” Sakura rushed him. She sighed again. “You’re just impossible.”

        The small figure of Kero appeared through the white table cloth. Sheepishly, he grinned as he watched Sakura’s slow hand descend with the squid balls. Typical of Kero, he waited impatiently, jumping up and down like a kid reaching for the cookie jar stored on a high shelf.

        “Sakura-chan!” Sonomi’s voice sounded—her tone slightly tense.

        Surprising her, Sakura bolted up from her declined position to answer the call. As she did so, she had forgotten about the squid balls, making them tumble towards the ground.

        “Hai,” Sakura replied, a little rosy in the cheeks. She hoped Sonomi wasn’t going to ask her about what she was doing.

        “Sakura-chan, are you enjoying your dinner?” Sonomi asked.

        Kero, who was more than ready to receive them, was not fazed by the unexpected way of the squid balls’ arrival, welcoming them with readied arms. He skilfully zipped across the area, catching them all one by one then rolled them under the table for safekeeping.

        Back at the table, Sakura felt herself cool down when Tomoyo’s mum hadn’t asked her about Kero. “The food is very delicious,” she finally replied. “Hoe?”

        For some reason, Tomoyo’s mum looked different to her. She seemed quite flushed, but the room wasn’t hot; it was—in fact—nicely air conditioned. Why did she look like she was hot?

        Meanwhile in the background, a squid ball was seen flying through the air.

        “Damn it! There goes my squid ball. I have to get it back,” Kero promised himself, still in pursuit of the squid balls.

        Making sure both ways was devoid of traffic, he tactfully scurried along the open space, converging on the squid ball’s position. When he reached the squid ball, he merrily returned underneath the table, munching on his catch as he did so.

        “Here, try this, Sakura-chan,” Sonomi was heard saying.

        Kero assumed Sonomi was serving Sakura more. “Great! More for me to eat! Give her more, give her more!”

        “No, I’m quite full… This is enough for me,” he heard Sakura’s voice reply, trying to decline the food. Upon hearing this, Kero’s eyes widened—what about Kero?

        “Yes, Sakura-san—we’re heading off soon, so make the most of it, huh, Sakura-san. You too, Tomoyo-san,” Kero heard Sakura’s dad say.

        “Leaving soon?!?”

        Leaving his squid balls for the moment, he kicked Sakura repetitively in the foot, requesting more food. Within seconds, his wish was granted as a plate appeared in front of his face. His eyes sparkled with joy. “Alright!”

 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

 

        The evening was calm as the Kinomotos and friends—minus Tomoyo who had gone home with Sonomi—headed home in the family car. Having enjoyed a long day in the city—not to mention a fulfilling dinner which rendered them almost too full to move—the passengers were all quietly admiring the scenery as they made their way back to Tomoeda.

        Quietly sitting in the car also was Sakura. Her head laid wearily against the frame of the window, feeling fatigue settle in her. Today was fun especially for the fact that she was able to spend it with her entire family and closest friends, but the day in Tokyo city took a lot out of her.

        As she stared blankly past Touya’s window, Sakura’s mind wondered back to the poster advertising the lip balm. It had said: ‘For a smoother, tastier, and everlasting experience… It’s just like eating the fruit’. She had never heard of such thing until this afternoon—was all of that true?

        Sakura pondered a little bit more on the topic, gripping her right pocket of her skirt tightly. She maintained the grip as she mindlessly wandered off into her thoughts.

        Yukito, who was sitting beside her, noticed Sakura’s quiet mood. “Sakura-chan,” he said, deciding to call for her.

        Sakura turned to him, all energetic and cheerful, “Hai.”

        “Are you a bit tired?”

        “A little, but not too much. What about you, Yukito-san?” Sakura returned the favour.

        “I’m good; just a little on the full side,” Yukito said with a chuckle.

        “Yuki, did I hear you right; did I just hear Yuki say he’s full?” Touya interjected the conversation.

        Yukito chuckled, raising his thumb and index finger in the air, decreasing the space between them. “A little I said, Touya.” Everyone laughed.

        “So Sakura-san,” Fujitaka came into the conversation, looking at the rear vision mirror, “Did you enjoy today with Tomoyo-san?”

        Sakura leaned a little to the right to catch her father’s gaze, “Hai. Tomoyo-chan and I went to the art store to buy some paints for her painting. Then we went to this new department store to buy a pair of slippers. After that, we walked around the city for a bit.”

        “New slippers?” Fujitaka asked, once more his eyes briefly shot to the rear vision mirror.

        “Hai, Otou-san (Father). I’m growing out of the old ones.”

        “Oh you bought new ones,” Yukito interrupted, “can I see them?” Sakura nodded, heading for the shopping bag.

        As she reached into the bag, she noticed that there was a little yellow lion in one of the slippers. Kero must have been feeling uncomfortable in her bag and snuck into it to sleep.

        Trying not to disturb him, she took out the unoccupied slipper and passed it over to Yukito. “I can’t get the other one, but this is what I bought.”

        “Oh… how cute,” he said, heading to touch the ruff of fur at the front.

        “I thought so too,” Sakura replied, expressing a giggle. “I just had to buy it when I saw it.”

        Yukito suddenly wore a curious expression on his face. “This is…” he looked at it curiously, trying to figure out the animal. “This is a wolf.”

        Meanwhile, at the front of the car, Touya’s eye’s narrowed as he listened in on the conversation between the two.

        “I thought it was a dog,” Sakura said, surprised.

        Yukito shook his head then leaned closer to her, placing the slipper in front of her eyes. “See Sakura-chan? This bit here,” he said pointing to the fur near the mouth, “…is a feature the animal. The long nose is also a feature of the wolf.”

        “Oh.” Sakura giggled—slightly embarrassed she had called it a dog.

        “Give me that!” Touya snatched the slipper from Yukito.

        “Is something the matter, Touya-kun?” Fujitaka asked, rather confused by his son’s reaction.

        Touya put it close to his eyes, glaring at it. “Iie (No),” he finally replied dismissively. Then he handed it back to Sakura, gritting his teeth as he said, “Here.”

        “Hoe?” What was that for?

        “Well Sakura-chan, they look very comfortable—” Yukito said, reaching for the slipper Touya had placed between them before handing it back to Sakura, “much more than your old ones, huh?”

        Sakura nodded, smiling, “Hai Yukito-san.”

        She placed the slipper back into the shopping bag, her mood lifted from the conversation. Sakura was no longer tired as she sunk herself back against the seat to stare at the dusky settings, comforted by the suburban streets of Tomoeda.

        Playing a game of her own, her eyes tracked the lamp post in front of her for as long as she could. Unable to focus her eyes on this lamp post anymore as her dad drove past, she was forced to move on and track the one ahead.

        She continued doing this with the next lamp post, and the next, and the one after that. It was an extremely repetitive game, but it was addictive and, to a point, challenging. Sakura wondered how long her eyes could keep up with this pattern before her eyes felt the strain.

        For the next few minutes, she had no problems with her little game. Not one lamp post was missed from the time she had decided to start it—that was until something distracted her concentration.

        Sensing something odd, she shot up from her seat to see a figure in the distance. This individual was walking in the same direction as the car was going, not at all suspicious, casually walking along the footpath of Penguin King Park. But this person put her a little on edge. Sakura wasn’t sure what it was, but the night walker definitely emitted something strange…

        It was an aura her senses soon confirmed, but it only existed briefly.

        Her eyes continued to fix themselves at the individual ahead of her as the car drove closer and closer to the individual. She was making her way towards this person, but her progression was not to her liking. Sakura needed to hurry as she spotted a corner ahead of the person. If the individual were to take that turn, she would miss finding out the identity.

        Please hurry, she thought. She had to know, she must know who it was.

        Impatiently, she waited; eyes squinted—as if this action would help her beat the darkness.

        Moments had passed, this person didn’t turn the corner and she was getting closer.


        Closer… She readied herself.


        And closer… Sakura fixed her eyes on the individual.


        Even closer… Great, he’s approaching a lamp post.


        This was it. She was going to find out…


        Now, stay with him…


        Sakura’s eyes widened to find that the person was none other than, “Sato-kun…?” she thought in disbelief.

        It was Yoshiro who she felt. Her eyes furrowed as the car drove beyond her visual range. She had seen something he was controlling in the air near his hand—an object of some sort, but she couldn’t define what it was as his hand hovered over it.

        It seemed to be floating also. With one hand, he was gliding the rear of his palm across its perimeter then it contracted and disappeared.

        “Sato-kun: masaka (no way)!”

        Sakura fell back into her seat, her vision blurred as she lost herself in her own thoughts. “But he’s so… he’s always been so nice to me. No way, it can’t be… I’ve never sensed anything from him before…”

        “Are you okay, Sakura-chan?” Yukito asked suddenly.

        “Hoe?”

        “Are you okay? You looked troubled,” he said with more concern.

        Should she tell him? No—not yet. “Hai, I’m okay,” Sakura said, forcing a smile. Yukito smiled slightly, not believing her words, but nevertheless left her to her solitude again.

 

 

To be continued in episode 6: “Sakura’s Hazy Encounter”.