Sakura and Syaoran Banner
Contents Home
Flash Version
Updates
E-mail Us
The Series
Characters
Fanfiction
Music Videos
Pictures
Sounds
Scrapbook
Links
JTCorner Forums
 
LIMITLESS POSSIBILITIES
CARDCAPTOR SAKURA

DISCLAIMER

©2003 Design by Julia and Tania Corner Productions. All content is copyrighted to their rightful owners. Cardcaptor Sakura is copyrighted to CLAMP and all its affiliates! No infringements is intended at all! Full Disclaimer.

Sakura and Junior High School

©2003 By Julia and Tania
E-mail: ccs_fanz@juliaandtania.com
Cardcaptor Sakura: The Attractive Power (Alternate)
Episode 2

Syaoran-kun! Sakura thought in dismay. Fear coursed through her as she realised the consequence of her successful capture.

        “Syaoran-kun...” her voice trembling, yet determined, “even if you don’t feel anything for me anymore, I love you! The one I love most is Syaoran-kun!”

        No response.

END DREAM…


        Sakura was woken up abruptly, bolting up from the bed. It wasn’t the alarm clock which would usually be the thing interrupting her slumber. No—this time it was the disturbing reality of losing the one she loved most.

        For a minute, she sat upright, just staring blankly at nothing in particular. She felt fine this morning—at least for the first few minutes. Her heart began to tighten again, like the many mornings before. A few tears began to build up around her eyes where they soon became streams of tears flowing amply down her cheeks.

        “Syaoran-kun…” she whispered underneath her breath. A few more tears of sadness flowed.

        She gazed blankly past her teardrop-stained sheets, frequently sniffing to counter her runny nose. The constant welling up of tears, the reddened eyes, the sniffing brought her to a most strange emotion. She couldn’t believe it herself, but she felt so angry, so angry at him.

        “Damn you, Syaoran! How could you do this to me?” More tears flowed idly down her damp cheeks as she calmed down. You’re supposed to say: ‘me too, Sakura... me too… Sakura…’

        Several dejected weeps followed. It was draining thinking so much; Syaoran was exhausting her. Unable to breathe through her nose properly, anger fuelled an exaggerated intake of air. Then she moved to rub her eyes furiously, trying to block the eyes from watering.

        She rubbed, she sniffed then she rubbed and sniffed some more—each time with more force and with more rage. Still the tears and her runny nose didn’t obey her wishes.

        “Damn i-i-i-it—Why… won’t… it… STOP?!” Sakura asked in exasperation. A rage of anger surged through her system, sniffing forcefully a few more times just to be defiant, but that only resulted in hurting her nose.

        “Damn… it...”

        Suddenly she began chuckling through the sadness, laughing at her silliness. Giving up unwillingly and having no other choice, she reached for the blankets in front of her. She clasped onto them with the feeling of despair as she slowly let the emotions flow as it came.

        After several minutes of weeping, she took her head out of the blankets and reached behind to grab her clock. It was only twenty to seven; she had woken up before the clock’s alarm activated.

        Sakura wiped the remaining tears as she took all the strength to get out of bed and get ready for her first day at junior high—which was supposed to be exciting—but all she wanted to do was stay in bed and sulk.

        Not disturbed and sound asleep was Kero, quietly sleeping on her bed with his cute little body curled up into a ball.

        He must be tired out from comforting me all night yesterday, Sakura thought. Kero’s body suddenly shivered, detesting the cold air, his furry coat not thick enough to shield him from the cold.

        “I’m so sorry, Kero-chan about the draftiness.” She giggled then let an awry grin show through her once depressed lips before carefully placing the bed covers back over him. As she did so, situated quite distant from Kero, was the bear—Syaoran’s hand made bear—which she had been hugging every night since he left for Hong Kong.

        She picked up the bear by its armpits and held it in the air. Syaoran was its name, and it was what the bear represented to her. Sakura stared at it as if she were staring into Syaoran himself. She took it with her as she made her way across the deck floor to her mirror. She knelt down to stare squarely on her reflected eyes.

        Walking up the stairs, Touya approached Sakura’s bedroom door. “Sakura,” turning the knob, “Are you okay? Breakfast is ready,” he asked as he peered through the door. A startled Sakura stared at him.

        “Yeah,” she replied with a raspy voice, forcing a smile.

        “Are you sure?” Believing in her responses as the truth was difficult these days.

        “Yeah Oniichan (Brother)—really, I am.”

        Touya sustained a gaze at his little sister, studying her as she looked at herself in the mirror, not even caring that he was watching her. In her hands, clutched that bear. For whatever reason, that bear was always near her—lying next to her in her bed as she slept; sitting on the ledge as she absentmindedly gazed out the window—but mostly he had seen that bear held closely to her heart.

        “Really, I am. I’ll be down in a minute for breakfast,” Touya heard her say in a soft voice then she turned back to the mirror. He shook his head. There was nothing he could do.

        “Well, hurry up. You don’t want to be late for your first day of junior high,” he said, his tone almost normal. “Kaijuu (monster),” he added. As expected, Sakura didn’t react, only nodded.

        “Syaoran-kun,” Sakura said, gazing earnestly at her mirror-self, “I’ll always think about you. I’ll always love you no matter what, but Syaoran-kun, today is the last day—” Sakura took a few more sniffs, wiping away her tears. “Today is the day, Syaoran-kun, I won’t cry for you anymore.”

        She placed the Syaoran bear back behind her bed on the ledge where all her important objects were placed; finally deciding she had better get ready for school.

 

        The weather was beautiful this morning, Sakura thought. She wished she felt as calm and as lively as the day was. Though, having her brother and Yukito accompany her to school made her feel happier.

        “Sakura-chan: are you looking forward to high school?” Yukito thought to ask, noticing she wasn’t partaking in any conversation this morning.

        “Yeah, though I’m a little nervous,” she responded in her usual, cheerful tone.

        “There’s nothing to be nervous about, Sakura-chan. It’s my old high school after all. I kind of miss that high school.”

        She nodded. “What about you, Yukito-san—university must be hard. Is it hard?”

        “It’s definitely harder than last year, but I still have time to have fun. When you get there, you’ll love it. There’s so many people to meet and things to do. It’s like a whole big community.”

        She nodded again with a huge smile. “I’m sure I will, Yukito-san, but first I’ll have to get through high school!” characteristically, she chuckled. At the moment, there wasn’t anything that betrayed the happy feelings displayed on the surface which masked the true feelings inside.

        “I’m sure you’ll do well in high school, Sakura-chan,” Yukito finished off.

        “Sakura, are you coming home straight after school?” Touya asked.

        She shook her head. “I might not. Tomoyo asked me to go for ice-cream after school.”

        He nodded, accepting her plans. He kept an eye of concern on her for a short while before he realised they had arrived at her new school: Seijyu High. He got off his bike. “Well, it looks like we’re here. Now, have fun okay, monster? This playground should be big enough for a small monster like you to play in today.”

        Sakura moved to stamp on Touya’s foot with her roller-blades. “I’m not a monster, and I’m not small.”

        Touya yelped in pain. If it were possible, his eyes would have totally separated from his sockets. Yukito laughed hysterically. “You should have stayed on your bike, Touya.”

        “Well, guess I’ll see you later, Yukito-san,” Sakura said her farewell.

        She began to walk into the school just as Yukito called, halting her. “Sakura-chan—” She turned around. “Here’s something for you.” A bon-bon was airborne for a moment as it propelled through the air to land in Sakura’s hand. Just like old times.

        “Arigatou (thanks), Yukito-san! I’ll see you at home, Oniichan!”

        She rolled her way through the school yard. The feeling she received as she made her first steps through the gates of Seijyu High was overwhelming.

        “It’s not too much different from Tomoeda Elementary I suppose, but I can’t help to be taken by it all.”

        Standing in the distance was a familiar figure, but Sakura couldn’t make out who it was with the streaking rays of the spring sun obstructing her vision. Her eyes squinted against the intensity as she lowered herself for a better view.

        “Sakura-chan!” a high-pitched voice called for her.

        “Tomoyo-chan!” Sakura shouted from across the vicinity, finally able to recognise the figure. “Good morning!”

        Tomoyo sprinted over to Sakura as she extended her hands to grab a hold of Sakura’s. “Isn’t this exciting?” she asked, but Tomoyo didn’t let her answer as she continued, “I brought my camera along too. This day will be called, ‘Sakura’s First Day of High School’.”

        “Tomoyo-chan…” Sakura embarrassingly said. Not even giving her a chance to do anything else, the camera was already rolling.

        “Cute!! Sakura-chan looks very smart in her new school uniform! The design suits Sakura-chan very well.” She then swiveled the camera around to her right for a moment before switching back the focus on Sakura. “Have you seen the guy’s uniform? It looks very nice too. I bet Li-kun would look very handsome in the uniform.”

        Through the camera lens, Tomoyo could see a sudden change of demeanour in Sakura. A ponderous Sakura stood immobile at the mention of the name. Maybe she shouldn’t have mentioned him.

        “Sakura-chan, are you okay?” Tomoyo inquired. “I’m sorry.”

        Unexpectedly, images of Syaoran streamed into her mind. His name echoed continuously as each image was presented in her mind.

        “Sakura-chan?” Tomoyo dropped her camera by her side, stopping the recording.

        “I’m okay, Tomoyo-chan,” she said, letting a smile show through. Her facial cast slowly changed. “It pains me a lot to hear his name—that’s all, but then again, I don’t think my heart will ever not skip a beat or feel a jab when I hear his name,” she admitted more to herself than to Tomoyo.

        “Oh…” saddened by Sakura’s sadness.

        Sakura moved to her friend, cupping her hands in her own. “But don’t be sad for me, Tomoyo-chan. It hurts me to know that because of me, you’re suffering too.”

        “I know, but—“

        She shook her head furiously. “I’ll be okay. And don’t feel like you have to watch what you say either, because I think that mentioning Syaoran-kun will only help me.”

        “I’m so glad you think that way.”

        “Although, Tomoyo-chan, I can’t promise what my emotions will be, but when they’re not happy ones, don’t feel bad,” Sakura expressed.

        Tomoyo nodded energetically as she hesitated on proceeding with her next question. “Have you… heard from Li-kun, lately?”

        “No…” she replied, sadly.

        Suddenly interrupting their conversation, the school bell rang to inform students that class had begun.

        “We better head in, huh, Tomoyo-chan?” she called. Tomoyo nodded, still in concern.

 

        “We’re in the same class, Tomoyo-chan,” Sakura stated, relieved, having just come out to the courtyard from the assembly hall.

        “It’s so great! It seems Rika-chan, Naoko-chan, Chiharu-chan, and Yamazaki-kun is also in our class too. It’s just like old times, huh, Sakura-chan?”

        She nodded sharply. “Yeah.”

        Suddenly interrupting, in the distance was a male figure dressed in phys-ed clothing. “Come over here everybody,” the male figure said, gesturing with his hand in the air as everyone scurried to his position conformingly.

        “He must be our guide for this session; wonder what we’re going to do,” Sakura asked Tomoyo.

        “Let’s find out; let’s go.” Tomoyo replied as she motioned Sakura towards the group.

        “Welcome everyone. I am Ito-sensei. Today is orientation day. You will be broken up into small groups where our senior leaders will be showing you around the school and will be taking you through activities to help you familiarise yourselves with each other and the school.”

        “Hai (Yes),” the new students understood.

        “Good.” He then looked to his right at a long line of senior students of the school. “I will assign each of you with one of the leaders. They will instruct and lead you through the day,” Ito-sensei carried on then started calling out names from a list.

        Sakura watched her peers move into their groups as they followed their assigned leaders. Most of her old classmates had already been assigned, only Tomoyo-chan and two others hadn’t been assigned.

        “…Daidouji-san, and lastly Kinomoto-san, you will be with Nakamura-san,” Sakura heard Ito-sensei say.

        “We’re in the same group, Tomoyo-chan!” Sakura exclaimed.

        Her excitement was clearly evident as a young male oddly regarded her with a glance towards her direction when she turned to face away from the main crowd. Sakura grimaced in response.

        “Sakura-chan: is something wrong?” There was no reply as she continued forwarding her attention towards that young male who was now walking towards her and Tomoyo.

        “Hello. I’m Sato Yoshiro. I’m sorry if it seemed impolite of me to stare. I was searching for someone who would be kind enough to help me find my peer-support leader: you stood out from the crowd.”

        “Oh, is that so,” Sakura responded neutrally. “Who are you looking for?”

        “Nakamura-san. I’m in her group.”

        Tomoyo raised her brows at the convenience of the situation. Cheerfully she replied, “We’re in her group. We were about to head over to her now.”

        “That’s great!” a relieved Yoshiro replied.

        “We can walk over there together, Sato-kun,” Sakura invited. He nodded.

        All three walked casually, comfortable silence all around.

        “I’m sorry, but I didn’t catch your names,” Yoshiro said suddenly.

        Sakura answered. “Kinomoto Sakura and this is my friend, Daidouji Tomoyo.”

        “Kinomoto-san, Daidouji-san: it’s nice to meet you. It’s chaotic on the first day isn’t it? Everything’s so new. Quite frightening don’t you think?”

        “If we stick together, it’ll be easier.” Tomoyo’s optimism was reassuring.

        The newly acquainted group headed over to their peer-support leader, Nakamura-san. Elegantly dressed in her school uniform with her long brunette hair moving gently with this morning’s breeze, she stood tall above her surrounding group of students.

        “Okay, okay. Is everybody here?” Nakamura said more to herself than to the students. She started counting heads quietly. “Yes—we are all here. Good morning everyone—”

        “Good morning,” routinely the students replied.

        “Our first objective is to get you guys to familiarise yourselves with each other. So to do that, the seniors have organised a program of activities where you all get to work and interact with each other. These activities will involve pairing up with another classmate.”

        The students continued to sit attentively as their senior leader continued. “In your group of two, you will get to take part in a sort of scavenger hunt where you try to fulfill each task set out by working out problems and overcoming challenges together. There’s a prize at the end of this for all of you…”

        The students’ face lit up at the mention of a prize, but was let down as Nakamura told them what it was.

        “…The prize is that you all know that you’ve achieved something together and you’ve successfully learnt a little more about the person you were partnered up with.”

        An imaginary tear drop fell on each of the students’ foreheads at the anti-climatic information.

        Sakura raised an eyebrow in confusion. “Hoe?”

        “She’s right though. You can’t get a better prize than that. The possibility of gaining a new friend is the greatest prize anyone can get,” Tomoyo responded.

        Sakura nodded, agreeing with Tomoyo in every respect.

        “…Okay! Let’s get started. I have a hat,” Sakura heard Nakamura say. “I’m going to go around and give you each a small piece of paper. On that piece of paper there will be a number. Whoever has the same number as you he or she will be your partner.”

        Moving around the group—as each student took their turns in picking a number out of the hat—Nakamura came around to Sakura and her friends.

        “Pick your number everyone,” Nakamura said.

        Tomoyo reached into the hat, hoping she would end up with her best friend. Then Sakura took her turn.

        “What did you get?” Tomoyo asked Sakura.

        “Nine. What about you, Tomoyo-chan?”

        Tomoyo’s voice submerged into her disappointment. “I got two. I’m not with you Sakura-chan. I can’t film you if you’re not with me.”

        “Tomoyo-chan…” Sakura said, struggling to find a decent response.

        Interrupting the two, Yoshiro held a piece of paper in the air. “Looks like I’m with you Kinomoto-san.”

        Both Sakura and Tomoyo looked at the small strip of paper closely. Crudely written was a nine. “Oh wow, what a coincidence!” Sakura said, gazing back at her piece of paper.

        “Isn’t it? Or maybe it’s fate,” Yoshiro replied.

        “Fate?” Tomoyo questioned rhetorically.

        Yoshiro nodded. “Yeah, don’t you believe in coincidences, Daidouji-san?” he asked casually, “I don’t know… it’s just that I believe in this world, we are born for a special purpose and people are supposed to meet certain people.”

        “People are supposed to meet certain people,” Sakura repeated quietly to herself—like her and Syaoran-kun? She thought.

        “Yes—Kinomoto-san,” Yoshiro replied.

        Suddenly breaking the three’s conversation, Nakamura called to the group, “Who’s got number two? Suzuki-san over here is waiting for that person.”

        Tomoyo jumped up then turned to face Nakamura. “Hai (Yes). I’ve got number two. I’m coming.” Tomoyo turned her attention back to Sakura and Yoshiro. “Anyway, I better leave you two now. Good luck Sakura-chan, Sato-kun. Meet you back here for lunch.”

        “Okay, good luck to you too, Tomoyo-chan,” Sakura replied back.

        “It’s nice to meet you Daidouji-san. I’ll see you later,” Yoshiro shouted to a now distant Tomoyo.

 

        “That guy, he’s very good isn’t he?” Yukito said to Touya.

        Touya didn’t reply as he continued to watch the six-foot-one javelin thrower throw the long, metal pole like a professional, his lean physique allowing him to launch it with convincing power.

        “He’s quite the athlete, isn’t he—javelin, discus, shot put, high jump, sprinting, long distance—he’s in at least top three for all those events! That guy’s definitely going to be selected for this year’s athletic teams,” Yukito pointed out.

        Touya scrunched his face, his eyes falling to only slits, eye pupils pin-pointed to the six-foot-five athlete in front of him. “I don’t like that guy,” he voiced out with enmity as the subject made another impressive throw with the javelin—he had his pole land a few metres further than his previous.

        Yukito cheered along with the rest of the amazed crowd to the excellent effort from the athlete. Touya stood, still frowning. Yukito turned to face his friend then laughed. “You really don’t like that guy, do you Touya?”

        “No,” Touya replied hardheartedly. Though he had to admit his firm answer was mainly provoked by Yukito’s constant teasing this morning.

        Yukito laughed at him again. “Give him a chance. Is it because he’s better than you—is that why you don’t like that guy?”

        He didn’t reply. Yukito laughed harder at him for that response.

        With that, the voice of the marker resonated through the air, followed by a wave of acclaim spreading through the onlookers surrounding the field. The six-foot-five exchange student had just made yet another impressive throw—gaining another metre and a half.

        The athlete let a proud smile show through while a few nearby fellow athletes patted him on the shoulders. He acknowledged them all with poise as he headed for his sports bag.

        As he passed Touya and Yukito to get to his bag, he kindly acknowledged them. Touya—to be polite despite his dislike of him at the beginning—smiled.

        “Thank you everyone for participating in the trials today,” the coach announced. “You all did very well and I congratulate you all for making it to these trials. The final teams will be announced in a week or so. So keep your eyes peeled at the notice boards to see if you made it—best of luck to you all.”

        “I think we all know someone who certainly will be representing in a lot of our athletic teams this year,” Touya heard a voice in the distance say.

        “Let’s go, Yuki,” Touya suggested. He began heading back, heading to the changing rooms as he trailed the path of the star athlete.

        “Yeah, okay,” Yukito complied.

 

        Sakura walked prudently as she clung to Yoshiro’s arm, listening to his instructions—having been blindfolded. They were onto their last activity in the orientation course.

        “This way, Kinomoto-san,” Yoshiro guided. “We’re approaching an unleveled part of the ground. Tread carefully okay? It’s coming up in a few steps.” Sakura panicked slightly, taking extreme caution, taking only pin steps. “Don’t worry, Kinomoto-san. Just follow closely. It’s just got a few branches lying on the ground.”

        Sakura felt the ground out with her feet. It wasn’t as easy as sensing a Clow card—that, she was accustomed to—but finding her way without her sight was something she wasn’t; there was no magical aura coming from the branches.

        She repeatedly slid her feet back and forth to feel if she was near any branches. It was not that she didn’t believe in Yoshiro, that he couldn’t guide her through this—it was just that the trust wasn’t there yet.

        He laughed at her discretion. Ironically his next reply was, “Trust me. I’m not going to let you fall over anything.”

        Sakura nodded, taking courage. Not long after he said that, her right foot rolled over a rather large branch.

        “Hoeeeeeeee!” she screamed.

        Quickly, Yoshiro reacted. He turned around, took a huge stride backwards to stand behind Sakura, breaking her fall.

        “Sorry I didn’t warn you about that! Are you alright?” Yoshiro asked, rattled. He quickly took her blindfold off.

        “Thanks, Sato-kun,” she said, breath a little uneven from the alarm. “I’m okay.”

        “Good. I’d blame myself if you were hurt,” he said with sincerity.

        “You shouldn’t,” she advised.

        He smiled on the surface, but inside, he felt terrible for letting her down like that. “Shall we continue then?” he said, unsure if she would trust him to guide her through the rest after what just happened. “We are almost at the end of this course.”

        Sakura nodded. “Sure! Can you help me put this on?”

        Yoshiro motioned to help Sakura put the blindfold back, surprised by her willingness. She didn’t at all show any signs of hesitation in trusting him again.

        “Sato-kun,” Sakura spoke.

        “Yes?” he said as he tied the black material at the back of her head.

        “I realise that you’re new to this town, so maybe you haven’t made many friends yet, so I was wondering, since lunch is after this, would you like to join Tomoyo-chan and me for lunch?”

        “Sure, thanks.” Sakura was certainly a kind and compassionate person. “There you go, all tied up,” he said.

        “Then let’s go, Sato-kun.” Sakura said as she wrapped both her hands around his right arm. Yoshiro nodded with a smile.

 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

 

        Lunch time had settled upon the day. As Tomoyo had arranged, Sakura met her back at the fields for lunch. They were joined by Rika, Naoko, Chiharu, Takashi, and Yoshiro under a tree to have lunch.

        “Glad that was over,” Rika said to her friends. “That last task with the blindfold was hard.” The group nodded in agreement. “I never really knew how tough it is not having my sight. Luckily though, I had a very good partner who was very good at giving instructions. I only had a slight problem at the beginning, but after I loosened up and trusted my partner, I was fine.”

        “Definitely,” Chiharu agreed then turned to Yoshiro, “So do you have any brothers or sisters, Sato-kun?”

        “No, it’s just me. It’d be nice to have a brother or sister though,” Yoshiro replied.

        “I don’t know, Sato-kun… My brother’s always teasing me. As much as I love Oniichan, he sometimes annoys the hell out of me, not to mention embarrasses me,” Sakura said.

        “Well, I do hear that stuff does happen a lot. But I think it’d be fun to have someone to argue with every so often.”

        “Really?” a not so persuaded Sakura said—somewhat confused. “Having someone to argue with is good?”

        “Arguing—I guess it’s not a good thing, but when you’re an only child, it kind of gets lonely.”

        It kind of gets lonely… Loneliness… Emptiness, Sakura thought.

        “Yeah…” everyone said in unison.

        “Yoshiro-kun,” Takashi called to him, “What do you like doing; what are your interests?”

        “I like to do a lot of things…” he replied ambiguously.

        “A lot of things—well, I love stories, all sort of stories… do you like stories?” Takashi began, “Did you know—“

        “Not today!” Chiharu interrupted, rolling her eyes. Yoshiro raised an eyebrow. “He loves to embellish his stories. So don’t believe anything he says. They always turn out to be lies!”

        Sakura sat quietly in her seat—her friends, unaware she had entered into her own thoughts, displaying a distant bearing towards her surroundings as her friends enjoyed another one of Chiharu and Takashi’s typical verbal fights with each other. It seems keeping her mind off Syaoran proved to be much more difficult than she had first thought.

        ”Why did I have to fall in love with him; why did it have to be me that he was in love with? It seems it would have been so much easier if I never knew his feelings for me.”

        What if she hadn’t known?

        “Maybe it wouldn’t be as painful as losing Syaoran: my friend, compared to Syaoran: my love. But—No, I don’t wish it to be that way. Syaoran is the one I love most, how could I have wanted to throw my chance of true happiness? Knowing is better than not knowing. I love him! Why did love have to be the feeling exchanged in order to seal Emptiness?”

        “Chiharu-chan, if Yamazaki-kun doesn’t tell his stories, then he wouldn’t be Yamazaki-kun would he?” Sakura heard Rika say, laughing after that.

        “But I don’t know how many more years I can take of Takashi-kun’s constant lying!”

        “I suppose his stories make Yamazaki-kun, Yamazaki-kun,” Tomoyo said.

        Yoshiro noticed Sakura’s absence in the group as she mildly grinned when each comment was made. Without his head turned, he stared at Sakura with his eyes in the corner for a moment then returned back to the group’s conversation.

        “Exactly,” Rika said as Takashi grinned, agreeing heartily in the background.

        “Anyway, I’m starving after all that talking, let’s eat!” Chiharu enthused.

        “Kinomoto-san,” Yoshiro called to her. Sakura turned from her trance to face him. “Itadakimasu (thanks for the meal/let’s eat), ne Kinomoto-san?” he said when he noticed she wasn’t eating her lunch. Sakura nodded softly, picking at her food.

 

        The gym’s spacious men’s changing room was empty when Touya and Yukito entered into the room. There was a row of grey lockers lined up back-to-back against each other in the middle of the room, dividing the room into two; in front of those, were a couple of cushioned benches where they stretched out from one end of the room to the other.

        Touya sat down on one of the benches, wiping his forehead with his t-shirt as he did so, while Yukito opened his temporary locker to get his valuables out of it. He then sat down and pulled out a towel out of his sports bag to wipe the sweat off his forehead and palms.

        “Looks like winter is definitely over—although it’s only spring,” he said to Touya. Changing the subject he added, “That trial was quite grueling compared to the trial from the previous year, wasn’t it?”

        “Yeah.” Touya knew exactly why—that guy, the exchange student, he’s the one who has upped the anti—but he wasn’t going to admit it aloud.

        He took his bottle of water out, flicked the top off of it and forcefully squeezed the water out, splashing the water all over his face to cool down the perspiration on his face. Then he took his towel from his bag and smothered it over his face to dry off.

        “Better,” Touya added then took an ample sip of water to relieve his dry throat.

        Yukito looked at a refreshed Touya for a moment before he spoke. “This morning, Sakura-chan appeared distant. Is she doing okay?”

        Touya took a woeful sigh as he shook his head. “She’s trying to act strong, but I know that it’s hurting her. She hasn’t been herself ever since he left for Hong Kong,” referring to Syaoran. Yukito didn’t interrupt him as he sensed he was going to continue. “That boy has really messed her up. No matter what, he’s always hurting Sakura in some way or another,” Touya said, frustrated, yet not with the usual strong disapproving tone.

        “Li-kun’s making her feel this way because she loves him,” Yukito stated to him, “Remember, Touya, Li-kun did save her from that Clow card. If it weren’t for him, we would never see the cheerful Sakura-chan that we know; she would have disappeared along with that day.”

        Touya shook his head, trying not to believe the words, but he knew that this time Li had done what he had done with the best interests in mind for Sakura. He knew Li had sacrificed a huge part of himself for his little sister; and as much as he hated to admit it, he owed him a great deal of gratitude. This time, his remarks of Li were almost said out of habit.

        “She’s too young to be thinking about this, Yuki; too young to be dealing with this.”

        “Like she’s too young to be the master of the Clow cards?” Yukito asked, indirectly answering him then added, “Sakura-chan’s strong. She’s borne a lot more than anyone has, and has dealt with things beyond what’s expected of a young girl. Because of that, Sakura-chan has developed a unique way of dealing with things. With us and all her friends to help her, she will be okay,” he said emphatically.

        A locker door slam was suddenly heard, reverberating throughout the changing room, interrupting their conversation.

        Standing tall nearest the exit was the latest star athlete—the six-foot-five exchange student. Capturing Touya’s attention, he watched the athlete for a moment. As he gazed his way, the exchange student caught Touya’s eye then began to head towards him.

        “You are Kinomoto Touya,” he said, addressing him with a friendly face then faced Yukito. “And you are Tsukishiro Yukito.”

        “Yeah,” Touya answered for himself and Yukito, whom were now standing up.

        “Both of you were pretty good out there,” the exchange student carried on. He then added, “Kinomoto-kun: you are quite good at long distance running—does it run in the family?”

        Touya regarded the exchange student with curiosity. “My father was quite a good runner in his younger days,” he replied finally.

        “What’s your name? You are an exchange student from China right?” Yukito asked.

        The exchange student smiled, “Chen Shaojian. Yeah—from China.” He made a slight movement, indicating he was about to leave. “Anyway, I better start going. Nice meeting you, Kinomoto-kun, Tsukishiro-kun. See you around—hopefully on the athletic teams, right?” he said cheerfully.

        “Right,” Yukito laughed. “See you around Chen-kun.”

        Touya only nodded, acknowledging his departure. “Anyway, let’s get going, Yuki,” he said once Shaojian was out of sight, “We’ll stop short and get something to cool us down before we head home.” Yukito nodded then followed Touya out of the changing room.

 

        Rising from her seat at the local ice-cream parlour, Naoko said, “Well, I’d better be going now. I need to get home to help mum with a few things. It was great to see you all again. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

        “Bye, Naoko-chan/Yanagisawa-san,” her friends called.

        “Sakura-chan?” Tomoyo called to her, worried.

        “Yes?” Sakura replied.

        Discretely, not wanting to bring attention to Sakura, Tomoyo leaned closer to Sakura’s ear. “Are you alright?”

        Rika, noticing Sakura’s despondent mood all day, chimed in, “Hmm. Sakura-chan, you have been quieter than I remember you to be, is anything wrong?” The group was looking towards her direction now.

        Sakura waved her hands in the air furiously, smiling, “No, no. I’m fine—nothing’s wrong,” she lied.

        “If you have anything you want to talk about, we’re here,” Rika offered.

        “No, I’m okay, really.”

        Suddenly the waiter at the ice-cream parlour came to the group’s table. “Here you are, madam.” He placed a tall strawberry ice cream sundae in front of Rika.

        “Arigatou gozaimasu (Thank you),” Rika thanked the waiter. He nodded in response and left. Rika then turned to Sakura. “This is for you.”

        “Hoe?”

        “Chiharu-chan, Tomoyo-chan, Yamazaki-kun, and myself, noticed throughout the entire afternoon you weren’t happy. We all thought this might cheer you up a bit.”

        Sakura widened into a smile, feeling cloyingly sentimental inside, realising how thoughtful her friends were; how great they were to her. At times like this, when she needed her friends the most, they were here—they were all here. She could feel her spirits brighten by the kind gesture that—for this moment—she didn’t feel sad or think about Syaoran.

        “Thank you, thank you all so much! You guys are so nice to me. You really didn’t have to, but, did I really appear that unhappy?” Everyone nodded. She smiled—it was that obvious. “Thank you for thinking and caring so much about me, but now I really feel guilty.”

        “Why?” Chiharu asked.

        “Because you all bought me an ice-cream and you guys don’t have one.”

        “No, Sakura-chan. It’s not a problem! That’s what friends are supposed to do when they see one of their friends unhappy,” Rika replied. “We’ll try and do anything to cheer our friends up.”

        “Well, since you guys bought me one, I’m going to buy you all one! I got some extra money from my brother today for no reason, so I’m going to buy each of you one.”

        “No really, you don’t have to Sakura-chan.” Chiharu insisted.

        “But I want to. No arguments,” Sakura smiled, “Now what flavour sundae would each of you like?”

        “Umm… I’ll have a strawberry sundae,” replied Rika.

        “Vanilla for me,” Chiharu replied.

        “What about you Yamazaki-kun?”

        “Chocolate sundae, please,” Yamazaki replied. She nodded. “Thank you, Kinomoto-san!”

        “And for you Tomoyo-chan, I’ll get a vanilla one for you.”

        Sakura knew her too well. “Thanks, Sakura-chan!!” Tomoyo replied, gratefully. “I’ll come with you.”

        “No, thanks,” Sakura insisted. “I’ll be fine—back in a few!!”

        As she walked, she, again, thought about how nice everyone was including Kero. “Hmm… I think I’ll get Kero-chan something at the parlour for being so kind and caring throughout the last few weeks—comforting me when Syaoran-kun left. Maybe he’d like a packet of candy. Yup, that’s what I’ll buy.”

        Standing across from the group, underneath a nearby tree, Yoshiro watched Sakura from afar. “Kinomoto,” he said her name aloud. He continued to watch her curiously as she came to a halt at the ice-cream parlour.

        “Afternoon, sir,” Sakura said to the server at the counter.

        “Good afternoon, young lady. What would you like today?”

        “I’d like five sundaes: three vanillas, one strawberry, and one chocolate, please.” She almost forgot. “…Oh—and a packet of those lollies,” she pointed to a pink packet hanging on the wall on the left.

        “Sure. Please wait a moment.” He smiled then went to grab a few glass cups as Sakura waited.

        Sakura turned around. Two passer-bys caught her attention in the distance. A couple was walking closely, enjoying the magnificent sunshine that had occupied this afternoon, together. They were so happy.

        “Syaoran-kun…”

        Amidst her thoughts, she felt a brief breeze blow by her. It was cold and it brought her out of her thoughts. Without even knowing, Yoshiro had appeared in front of her from nowhere. She jerked back sharply.

        Quickly Yoshiro pulled her into him, almost hugging her to prevent her from falling into the counter. “Sorry if I scared you. I didn’t mean to.”

        “No, I was just…”

        “Something on your mind? By the looks of it you were pretty deep in thought. I hope it wasn’t anything unpleasant.”

        “No. Not really,” not revealing her thoughts.

        “Oh, that’s good. So, are you here buying ice-cream?”

        “Yeah, Tomoyo-chan, Chiharu-chan, Rika-chan, Yamazaki-kun, and I decided to have some ice-cream together after school.”

        “Here you are,” Sakura heard the server behind the counter say. He placed the sundaes and the packet of candy on the counter bench. “That’ll be 1170 yens thank you.” Sakura handed the money to him. “Thank you very much. Enjoy those sundaes.”

        “Thank you very much!”

        “It looks like you’ve got a lot there. Would you like some help carrying them over?” Yoshiro offered.

        “Yeah, that’ll be great. Thanks, Sato-kun.”

        Both of them took the sundaes and candy as they began to walk back to the table. Sakura realised she hadn’t offered him one. “Oh I’m sorry I forgot to offer you an ice-cream or a sundae. Would you like one? I can go back later to get it for you.”

        “Oh no, no you don’t have to. It’s okay.”

        Sakura smiled. “Then would you like to join us for a while before heading home?”

        “I’d love to but I have some things to take care of. Thanks though.”

        They continued walking for a short while before they reached their table. “Here you go guys!” Sakura said to her friends as she and Yoshiro began handing out the sundaes in her hand.

        “Hi, Sato-kun—would you like to join us?” Rika asked what Sakura had asked a moment ago.

        “No thanks it’s okay—I was just in the neighbourhood and I saw Kinomoto-san here needing some help. I better get going. I’ll see you all at school tomorrow. Enjoy those sundaes.”

        “Thanks, Sato-kun for helping,” Sakura thanked.

        As Yoshiro left towards a tree across from the table, strangely Sakura felt some sort of presence. It was ever so slight and brief. Sharply, she jerked her head towards the presence. It felt odd then it disappeared.

 

 

To be continued in episode 3: “Sakura and The New Force”.